male teen suffering anxious/nervous bladder for years.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm only 17 years old, and for as long as I can remember I have had an overactive/nervous bladder I guess (probably since I was 8 my parents seem to recall, not a thing since birth). There was obviously an even that triggered this change as I went to the doctors at the time; no infections. Over the past few years, my bladder has been controllable to an extent. However over the last few months I frequently lose control (no wetting myself to clarify) by this mean when in 'uncomfortable' situations, this can be anything that isnt me being at home. So basically when at home I have a 'normal' bladder you could say. If sat at home all day I can go probably upto 4/5 hours without going when drinking healthy amount of fluids as well. Then when I leave the house and go out my bladder becomes far worse. Like at school for example I can go like 1 and a half hours at best. Also then when feeling really stresed/anxious about certain situations or something I feel as if i cant hold and just feel the need to go very very frequently, the amount of urine passed in these situations is variable, ranging from drops to a worrying amount. So to the point; does anyone experience this? know what this condition is? psychological or physical? Any help would be very much appreciated. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark 

i am not a male .. But there is a medication for overactive bladder .. 

It could be that your bladder muscle goes into spasm ..

talk to the doctor and ask if Oxybutinin tablets would help in your situation..

sometimes when anxious or stresed or nervous this can trigger the spasm ..

( over active bladder) 

jay  

• Posted

What is an overactive bladder?

An overactive bladder is a condition that results from sudden, involuntary contraction of the muscle in the wall of the urinary bladder. Overactive bladder causes a sudden and unstoppable need to urinate (urinary urgency), even though the bladder may only contain a small amount of urine.

ask the doc for some medication to help you.

like Oxybutinon time realease ... Taken when the problem occurs ..

domt suffer its easily sorted 

jay   

• Posted

Yeah I am keen to try medication, however i find it hard to imagine not having that urge in those situations. Will there be mind over matter to overcome?
    • Posted

hi mark 

No .. I doubt it will be mind over matter ..

i have had this its same for male and female ..

And these meds work wonders.. 

it simply relaxes the spasm ... You wont even have to think mind over matter 

it just happens,  your just aware of it  now but its nothing to do with mind over matter, you have just connected this to something else i think but its a common little niggle some people have at times.

would say as you havent sought help ( i am guessing) it just become abit of a worry to you.

when you get anxious and stressed people deal with it different .. Some have a headache, some have an overactive bladder etc etc.

give it a try ...  and tell yourself it works as it does work, then put it out your mind ...  Get some help

jay 

• Posted

Mark 

reading what you have said ..

and you say your fine at night .. And mentioned mind over matter ! 

I think .. your fine at night as your not anxious for one ..

then in the day.. You have now convinced yourself this will happen.

so the day starts by you being anxious 😳

this tenses you up, and its like your waiting for it to start ..

then it does .. All tenses up and then you worry about it all day every day.

so stop it .. And get to the doctor .

tell the doctor exactly what you said when you started this discussion.

Get this sorted and get some meds for when it does start .. You wont need the. After a while.. You see .

good luck 

jay 

• Posted

I couldnt agree with you more here, this worry is akways on my mind, I get stressed out thinking about thinking about situations where I will be anxious days if not weeks in advance. I do have a doctors appointment this week, so hopefully some meds will help when I feel anxious. Thank you very much.
    • Posted

Hi Mark 

good on ya .. 

you will be fine .. just explain to the doc what you said on here ..

doc  may check your urine too and make sure theres no infection etc 

best to get checked..

dont worry about the Docs appt .

remember they are there to help people .. Not hurt people..

its then up to us to help ourselves ..

so pleased you have an appt ..

let me know how you get on wont you

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Mark. I deal with something similar do this. At least overactive. My biggest concern was that I couldn't sleep well. After trying many procedures and medications, I tried using a catheter in the evenings. I was always opposed to catheters but finally gave it a shot. I can't even feel it going in actually. Get the 8mm ones though. They're very thin. I purchase mine through LoCost Medical. It's about 90 cents per catheter. Buy some medical tape to make sure it doesn't move around. In fact. I staple the tape just beyond the tip to make sure it doesn't come apart. They'll tell you that you need to buy the more expensive ones (about $3 each and much more painful to insert) but I've been doing it for 2 years now and have been fine. My life has truly changed after using these at night. I get 5 hours of sleep with no problem, don't feel a thing, and have no urgency to pee. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi, I appreciate the reply but I forgot to include any details, I sleep perfectly fine and dont ever wake needing the toilet. This sort of thing occurs when awake and nervous primarily.
    • Posted

hi mark 

sounds like anxiety related and day time .. feeling stressed and agitated and the bladder tightens up .. It really does .. Then it feels like a UTI type of thing yet the tests say no infection.. 

i am sure Oxybutinon time realease  will help you..  Or similar ..

It really works ...

ask to give it a try ..

try and relax too ... 😊

good luck .. Your too young to be worrying about this, get some tablets and try them from your doc .. Dont be afraid to go, they hear about this type of thing all day long .. 

jay x

• Posted

Hi mark

I know that you are only young, but has your GP referred you to a urologist, as he will be able to do more tests. I don't want to worry you but I had the same problem and when I saw a urologist the test showed that I had bladder cancer which was treated and now I am being treated for exactly for the same thing and I am now on vesicare medication as I was going to the toilet between 20-25 times a day, nights was the worse. Now I am going about 6 or 7 times a day. As I said don't want to worry you. But if possible see if your GP could refer you.

• Posted

Hey Mark,

You described my situation perfectly. Every single thing you mentioned is also happening to me. I was just wondering if you had any solution to this? Did you try oxybutynin or overcome it another way? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.