Mallet finger after surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have developed a mallet finger after surgery that got infected and damaged the tendon.

I am 3+ weeks into splinting with a stack splint.

Has anyone had experience of this cause and how long was splinting needed?

I wonder if I will need longer splinting?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

by now you are probably well and truly healed! i have just finished the 8 weeks with the no5 plastic splint. I have pain when I bend too far or accidentally bend the finger under pressure. I would like to know if you underwent therapy exercises or does it just take patience! Are you supposed to restretch the joint/ tendon?? I am planning to keep the splint on at night and for my carpentry work till the pain is reduced. The finger doesn't droop. when taken out of the splint. I take it that the pain is an indication it is not yet fully healed?
  • Posted

Marquis, sadly had to have the splint off after 4 weeks due to skin blistering and pain. Finger now almost totally fused and bent but straightens a little overnight but droops as day goes on. Put another type of splint on for 2, then 1 week and it droops a little less in the day. Unable to get the original splint on because of bend.

Have been offerred a joint fusion if I have problems but as I also had 2 allergic reactions to analgesics after the orignal op I am not happy to put myself at any more risk.

I had no therapy or exercises given by the surgeon. I found out about range of motion exercises myself.

I cannot answer you questions because my case is caused by a post operative infecion eating through the tendon. I wish you well.

• Posted

Jackie! i don't know what a stack splint is... but i ended up drilling twice as many holes as what was there, in my plastic splint to get it breathing, and it works a treat. I still get cold under the splint and taking the splint off as often as possible, is IMHO important for circulation. naturally that comes with risks, but I would recomend going back to a full 24/7 splint. I am having to keep the splint going as it swelled and went really red today... why i don't know!. what are the motion excercises? where can i download them/ view them? So am i right that one must start the process of flexing?????? hope you get better, it's a real bugger this little injury /problem isn't it? regards
  • Posted

Hi Marquis.

If you search for stack splint you will find it easily. Also, range of motion exercises are on the net and cold be called range of mvoement. The best sites to find them on are usually to do with arthritis.

My hand problems are complicated by infection and osteoarthiritis. I agree you should presevere with the splint.

My stopping the splint was done under the instructions of my surgeon.

I took it upon myself to by an Oval 8 splint which accommodates a slight bend and has enabled me to reduce the increasing droop. I still use it occassionally if doing heavy jobs and in situations when I think I am more likely to damage my finger.

Exercising IMHO before full healing of the tendon will put you back to square one. The splint needs to be on for 6 to 8 weeks and then worn at reduced rates. Different medics have different regimes. You can download instuctions re mallet finger care from many hand surgeon and hospital websites.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Marquis, I missread your reply and see that you have had your splint on for 8 weeks. My experience is that the pain and lack of movement will gradually go. It is all about getting your finger and hand moving as normally as possble again.

Regards Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.