Mallet finger for 3 years

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all.

I'm wondering if anybody here has any advice for me. I had a mallet finger injury (pinky fnger) approximately 3 years ago. I went to the hospital about this injury the day after and had it splinted for 6 weeks but the treatment did not work. I was told I would need surgery by a nurse but being a bit young at the time and not in any pain with the finger I decided not to have surgery and decided to live with the injury as it caused me no pain. Only until recently have I learned that over time the mallet finger injury becomes a swan neck deformity and that is what I have noticed now. I've been to the doctors about it and now have an appointment with the orthapedics. The problem I have is I am due to start a new manual labour type job in the next couple of months and I am really worried about potentially needing a long time off if i have surgery as this will not look good to a new employer. The questions I have are if I were to leave my finger wihout treatment would it get any worse than it is now already? What kind of surgery is typically performed in cases like this? Do you think the possibility of being treated without surgery after 3 years would be basically impossible ? My finger has never caused me pain or made me struggle to work or even do boxing but I am very worried about the possibility of future complications if they can happen were I to avoid surgery. Apologies for the long post and unusual questions but does anybody have any similar experiences ? Or any advice my particular situation.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.