Mallet toe anyone?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone had mallet toe correction with the wire or pin extending out of the toe, my op has been postponed till late Nov. but I would appreciate any experiences/advice, etc.

My mallet toe is kind of different in that the very top joint is so extremely loose it bends completely horizontal toward my baby toe. Everyday walking and movement starts the pain and I am forced to rest till the burning stops. Feels weird like a broken joint. I have googled it and have not found a similar thing even close to it. I guess we'll find out what going on once doc opens it up.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention it is my third toe
  • Posted

Yes Jenna

I had hammer mild bunion and mallet toes done on right foot 9 Feb. Mine was I think hereditary so inelected tongave it done before it got too bad. I can now get shoes on albeit I have gone up a size and width but that's very probably because I want comfort! I hv orthotics too. The immobility after the op is challenging. I had Constipation, depression, boredom but that's because i am a very active person and my husband could not cope. You live through  the K wires, construct a box/tent over foot in bed. I am 8 months past op and walking 6+ miles again 

• Posted

Thanks.

Yeah been putting this off for a while but I know I can't and shouldn't wait any longer. I guess the post op pain concerns me most as I am very intolerant to heavy meds. Broke my leg and displaced my ankle last year Had plate and two screws installed. Extra strength Tylenol is all my stomach will put up with.

And managing with a wire sticking out of my toe concerns me but it must be done.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thankfully I took up crocheting last when I was laid up at least its a little occupational therapy. And forced my self not to get depressed.

The other interesting part is my hardware on opposite ankle will be removed at the same time.

Kudos to you for your 6 miles +! Do you have any more pain or swelling?

• Posted

Pain post op was never an issue. I am not a professional lol popper ever (lucky) but I took 2 days of paracetamol and

then realised I did not need it. Recuperation from an op is challenging and at 70 next year I feel I might have to live with anything else that might arise! By the way I was superfit to begin with and put on 8 lbs with inactivity. Getting it down but NEVER dieting. I bought posh heeled evening shoes and wore them for the first time last week with painted toes. Made me feel good 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.