mammogram recall

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, can anyone shed some light for me. I'm aged 50 going through the menopause. I have had a recall on a mammogram, I'm absolutely terrified. Five years ago I had a cyst removed via private medical insurance through my employer and everything fine.

NHS mammograms since been ok until the one I had a week ago which is the recall.

Probably a silly question but I've heard that you can get a recall if you have lost weight between the previous mammogram and the latest one.

I have been on a diet and lost over a stone, my cup size has been reduced could this be a amongst many factors of a recall?

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Simba

try not to worry too much, sometimes the xrays are not clear and they may call you back to get clearer images ..

if the xray was fine to start with then surely if it was something of real concern your doctor would be calling you ... Maybe ..

i have heard before of some ladies going back / recalled due to need clearer images, as maybe the others were not as good as they could be.

try not to worry, i understand your worry though..

try and keep positive 

good luck simbatipps

jay 

• Posted

Thank you Jayneeja . I cannot wait for Monday to come and go.

Apparently breast screen care send my GP a standard letter to advise that I've been invited back for an examination etc

• Posted

I am a breast cancer survivor just very fortunate but I assure you that not all recalls lead to that.  I have been recalled a number of times and in my case it has been what they call a floating lymph node and nothing to worry about or mostly it is a cyst as it was with you.

I also have heard that a loss of weight can be a factor.

I live in Canada and have yearky mammos maybe because I did have breast cancer.  But if ever they find something suspicious and they check it out and the result is that everything is ok....I still insist on having it checked again in 6 months time.  You have to be your own advocate. 

Best wishes.

• Posted

Bless you Marion for your kind response.

Whilst Google is helpful it can also have the opposite effect! X

• Posted

I agree with you regarding Google.....by the time I`ve finished checking everything I can think of I have frightened myself to death!!!   

Praying for good results on Monday....keep us all posted.

• Posted

I had exactly the same at age 55. Its a time when our breast tissue changes and they recall just to make sure. My sister had the same experience also.

It's a terribly frightening wait i know and i was a ball of nerves by the time i was through but mine and my sisters came through ok so i am wishing the same for you.

Wilma.

• Posted

I think I read somewhere that nine out of ten people recalled are OK as either the mammogram was not done properly, they think they see something and it is nothing etc. etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.