Mammogram recall and breast dimpling

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there - I was wondering if someone could really just give me some advice or perspective on my mum's situation. 

My mum (50s) had a mammogram, she has since been recalled and will be going into the hospital for a further mammogram, ultrasound etc later this week. I was worried but tried not to worry too much. However, yesterday we were talking about it after I offered to come with her to her appointment and she said something that concerned me. The person doing the mammogram asked her if she'd had any breast surgery and my mum said no because she hasn't. My mum then mentioned that she thinks that she's been recalled because she has some dimpling on her breast but assumed that that's just to do with her age so she never got it checked out. I asked her how long it had been there, and whether it was there when she had her last mammogram and she said she didn't know because she doesn't ever check her breasts (!!) 

Her saying this really concerned me since I know that dimpling can be a sign of breast cancer. Does anyone have any perspective on this situation because I'm trying my best not to worry but after that conversation last night it's really been on my mind. My question is, if it does turn out to be something to worry about, how can I best support her?

Also, I have told my mum to mention the breast dimpling but she says there's no point because she can't feel a lump - although I'm accompanying her to the appointment I can't make her mention it to the Dr. Do you think they will pick up on it when she goes for the appointment if she doesn't tell them? 

Thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Toni. I think the dr will pick up on the dimpling. My question is why wouldn't your mom want to mention it to them? If she's afraid of what it could mean, she needs to get into the mindset of doing what's best for herself and early detection is key! It may be nothing, but she needs to be her own best advocate when it comes to her health. I think if it were me, I would ask the doctor if I could sit in with them during the exam or at least ask them if there would be an opportunity for you to ask them some questions afterwards. That way, if it wasn't mentioned by her or them, then you'll be able to speak up.

It's hard not to worry, I know. But be strong for your mom...hopefully everything will turn out fine.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your response Gatorgirl. When I questioned her she just said that if it was anything then the doctor would pick it up. I've had a chat with her and I think you're right, she is nervous for what it might mean. Since I'll be accompanying her to the appointment I will check to see if she's mentioned it to them. Thank you again!

• Posted

Good to hear. Stay on top of it! I hope everything turns out positive. Please keep us posted...
    • Posted

Thanks! Well, she went and had the mammogram and ultrasound. I think my mum was glad that I came and she said the nurses and consultants were all really lovely. Everything came back clear and they sent her on her way! She is relieved but I did have a chat with her about checking her breasts as she admitted this was not something she ever does. Thanks for sending me the message, I do worry about her health (she's not the best at looking after it!) so your message did a lot to help with how worried I was feeling for her.

Thanks again and best wishes! 

• Posted

Fantastic news! I'm so glad you were there for her and everything is fine. Keep being her voice of reason!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.