Mammography for a 68yr old - is it really fibroadenoma?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

My 68 year old mother was diagnosed with a fibroadenoma (BIRADs 2) by the consulting radiologist, after a routine mammography as well as a sonography. The radiologists report says "multiply round smoothly marginated lesions found in both breasts. No evidence of micro calcification or architectural distortion".

She has a family history of breast cancer (her mother was diagnosed at the age of 89, and her younger sister at the age of 60). I therefore want a second opinion.

Thanks!

Ani

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi AniD,

Breast cancer tumors are spiculated, ie have spikes or points emanating from them. They do not have the smooth margins. They are not mobile. They are firmly adhered to the tissue wall. They are usually painless.

The only way to tell for certain is to have breast biopsies. I would have her see an oncology breast surgeon.

She might be eligible for genetic testing.

BTW, in addition to the current 25 plus known breast cancer mutations for which there is testing, they have discovered 72 more mutations, but tests have not yet been developed.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry for your quick reply. Given her age and other existing medical conditions, I was hoping to find a non-invasive course of action. The consulting radiologist has recommended a 6 mth follow-up scan at this stage. From a timing as well as procedure standpoint, any other pointers would be welcome.

Ani

• Posted

Hi AniD,

The other option, less invasive,but is extremely difficult to get paid for in the States, anyway, is an MRI bilaterally.

My identical twin's and my breast cancers were spiculated. The microcalcifications had been present for several years before the breast cancers were imaged on 3D. We were diagnosed within 2 weeks of one another, identical breast, location on breast, size, tumor type, markers, genotype, everything...The prognosis is excellent for both.

One clue for me, but not most people is that my breast cancer itched, as did my skin cancer. I already knew and felt something was wrong. I was not surprised at all when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I also kept getting recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my ear. It has not metastasized, as far as I know.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.