Man Boobs

Posted , 9 users are following.

I hope this is not an inappropriate question, but is prednisone know to cause man boobs?  

I am a relatively well built, 67-year-old male whose weight is somewhat normal (but redistributing).  I've been on prednisone for about a year, and amongst other noticeable symptoms I know am developing man boobs.

Is this caused by the the prednisone or something else?

Ahhhhhhh!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's called gynaecomastia,  Side effect of preds. Sorry!
    • Posted

All my weight gain (or probably most of it) went right to my belly

in front.  I can't fit in any of my clothes anymore......so

depressing.....bought a couple of things but have a closet

full of nice clothes, hoping I get off the pred and get most

of my life back......No gain on the boobs......

• Posted

Think positive faye, one day you will go to your closet and get into those clothes again. This is one goal we all hope to achieve and I for one can't wait.
  • Posted

I think this is perhaps like so many symptoms of the whole pmr/pred experience, often hard to discern whether this or that symptom is more from the pred or from the pmr.

Loss of one's "fitness" characteristics can be from the loss of activity that pmr causes.

I don't know of any particular studies where the effects of prednisone was evaluated in the absence of medical conditions, those surely exist and would best indicate what might purely be caused by pred.

As one who lost 15lbs early in the course of my pmr, I have gained back but a few pounds of muscle, with no kind of flab concentrated anywhere.

And having put the muscular symptoms under some control, I am able to sleep reasonably well but definitely have symptoms of fatigue and with a frequent feeling of needing to close my eyes.

Everything else seems about normal, albeit at a low 4-5mg dosage range at 18mos.

• Posted

Why would anyone give anyone the most powerful drug we have had since about 1949 if they did not need it, with all the known side effects?

Because it is so powerful that is why GPs in particular and some Consultants are desperate to get you off it.   Medics panic when they come across someone who needs it longterm, it is drummed into them no more than three weeks.  They remember that bit and forget about people  who deveop lont term illness and need it, and some are kids who are on it for life and who would die without it.

• Posted

I am adding to my previous, I hit the wrong key and cannot find the edit.

I and others would be blind without it.  Strenous efforts are being made to find steroid sparing agents, there are some, but unless the latest trial being conducted turns up trumps, none of them, so far have worked on everybody and they all come with their own side effects.

• Posted

There should be about to be a study on the side effects of pred - it is in the process of being designed but there are a lot of things that need to be done and funding remains a problem for something like that.
    • Posted

PS - no edit on this site! Has been asked for repeatedly but the gurus think that there are risks in allowing us to change things...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.