Managing a JJ stent.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a failed ureteroscopy on Monday to remove a stone so they put in a JJ stent in and it has to stay in for 6 weeks then I go back and do it all over again, the trouble I have is the pain in my back(kidney) everytime I urinate is horendous, I was given a booklet to take home which says this is common and should pass, its now 5 days and ive never felt so depressed with this. I can hardly have anything touch my back it aches all the time but most of all I dread having to go to the toilet because of the pain I know is coming! Painkillers dont really help and I have no idea how I will cope back at work while I wait to go back in? Can anyone relate to this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi bob.

I had a double stent in feb and had the exact same experience. In my case i was catheterised in hospital and once home and off the catheter , every time i needed to pee it felt like my organs were being dragged out my body to the ground .. horrendous and excruciating.

I was recatheterised at home and that alleviated the problem. When i had the stents removed and the catheter ( eventually removed) i had normal function again .

Not the best solution but being catheterised was my saving grace from the agony .

Hope you get sorted soon .

• Posted

Ps: i found the stents were ten times more agony than the kidney stones but maybe that was just my experience .
  • Posted

Ohh.. that feeling is horrible... I have had ten myself and had your same experience. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this also. 

Going to the bathroom got a bit better after a week but the feeling of pain and having to go , is what I had. For me the medicine that numbs your bladder and will turn your pee orange helped a bit! I still have two more to go this year, I wish they could come up with a better solution for stents , my doc doesn't even like putting them inrolleyes good luck, hope u get comfort soon

• Posted

Had same experiences, stents were horrific and I preferred the pain from the stones at their worst!

Had combination of pain killers and diazepam in the end to make it bearable but that's all it was. 

Year later I have stones in both kidneys again and have had 5 lots of eswl and not shrinking them so looks like il have to have surgery and stents again 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.