Managing asthma

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, after being recently being diagnosed with asthma I'm finding it hard to manage as my previous mental health issues also complicate things. 😕

To give you a rough idea my peak flow is 690-720 always, ventolin takes me to 750 🙂

After my spirometry which was normal I was diagnosed with very very very mild asthma with unknown triggers other than exercise.

Symptoms wise I keep feeling like I'm gonna wheeze but my breathing is clear and I have an occasional wise on chest but doesn't come out of my mouth.

Exercise makes me wheeze so I understand I have a exercise induced asthma aspect - peak flow doesn't drop after thou. Strange 😬

I find in work I feel short of breath, take peak flow and it's excellent, and breathing is clear.

I recently was told to use a preventer but still feel like I'm gonna wheeze, feel slightly less short of breath. I find myself maybe using ventolin too much for my asthma, especially on preventer so I wish to ask how much ventolin should I ideally be having and when Is it harmful. And any other opinions as asthma isn't in the family only hayfever???

Thankyou for any

Have a nice weekend

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Allergies can cause asthma symptoms. It seems like your asthma is under  controll with good peak flow readings. Try not to over use your inhaler when its not needed. 
    • Posted

Thankyou, it's mainly my after exercise symptoms and also always good peak flow so I am pondering on just being a dust and pollen allergy. It will work out I'm sure

• Posted

Hi, I've been an asthma sufferer for years and I know that you appear to of gotten yourself into a state over a very mild case of asthma like symptoms, remember that ventolin is a preventive medicine which relieves symptoms don't over use as effect will lessen effectiveness. There is also a higher pollen count at present so you might just have hayfever! 

• Posted

Hoping so, no history of asthma in family

A few hayfever but distant family.

Has been going on since March... Curious

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry if I am asking silly questions but does my peak flow scores back up my doctors thoughts of mild asthma or has she based it off the spirometry which say no obstruction but I did abit better with inhaler.

Thankyou in advice

Oliver

• Posted

Hi unfortunately the words Hay Fever makes people think of corn fields etc but it's really a broad term name for pollen irritation of the nasal passages. That is everything from garden weeds to tree pollen, I know my worst thing is yellow fields of rapeseed instant headache and sinuses are banging, 

I hope you manage to find the right solution mate! 

Regards Dave

• Posted

Oliver, recently I have been experimenting with peak flow.  More for curiosity than anything, since in the past my belief was that peak flow didn't correlate for me.  I did discover that I can have some very mild reduction in peak flow that does not come with audible wheezing, maybe only a tickle down the middle or a slight high clearing cough.   I took ventolin and waited 15 minutes and it went up 50 points.  I too have high peak flows due to long history of endurance sports.

I am at the point I have not even looked into whether it is even worth treating.  I'm going to ask around about that and make a decision.  But my takeaway is that it might be possible to have very mild "silent" asthma symptoms.  One way to know whether it is all "in your head" is to observe the people around you.  If they are also having allergy symptom at the same hour as your symptom that is a sure sign that it is pollen.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I too experiment with peak flow and even different meters, I am the same on most.

I recently found I can identify some imaginary symptoms by getting very high scores. I find mild asthma hard to track, or so I intermittent

No idea, anyway life goes in and I will find the ideal treatment soon.

Thankyou

Oliver

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.