Managing Hyperacusis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone else experiences hyperacusis.

I had sudden sensorineural hearing loss and labrynthritis types of symptoms which started in December. I don't know at what point following that I developed very loud tinnitus and also hyperacusis. The tinnitus is pretty constant, but I try not to focus on it. Hoewever, although my right hear has a hearing loss of between -80 and -90bD (basically it's profoundly deaf and can hear no sound) it does respond adversely to noises by creating non-noises in my ear. Basically it's like the sound of a tin of keys being shaken loudly in my ear in time with the noises around me. This includes responding like this to the sound of my own voice. 

I just wondered if anyone else has a similar thing and if they've found any ways of dealing with it. I have tried avoiding noise, but I'm back at work full time and I work in a primary school, so keeping away from noise is not really an option, and I have to use my voice. 

I'm starting to get quite desperate, as when I'm in the queit all I hear is the tinnitus and when it's noisy I have the hyperacusis. Sometimes I just wish I could just take my damaged inner ear away.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through but also relieved that it's not just happening to me!

I have never liked noise and even got my husband to de-noise some of the kids toys as I just couldn't stand the sounds they made. My ears literally hurt some time with noises and I get very uptight. I didn't know there was a name for this condition and, since reading your post, I've looked it up and now realise I am not alone with this horrible thing!

People who don't experience it cannot possibly understand our discomfort and think we are being oversensitive.

Over the years I have become a bit more noise tolerant but some of my tinnitus noises mimic the worst possible noise I have experienced and that makes me feel as though I can't carry on - until it stops and then I feel normal again.

I'll watch this discussion with interest to see if anyone has any coping strategies to pass on.

Meanwhile, hope you go on ok and get some relief somehow!

xx Moy

• Posted

I know what you mean about being relieved that it's not just happening to you. I am sure my colleagues think I'm just being oversensitive, especially when I say I can't hear in my deaf ear, but then omplain about the noise. 

It's reassuring to know that you've become more noise tolerant over the years, as at the moment my hyperacusis seems to be getting worse, so perhaps it will plateau out and then get better - or maybe I'll start to get used to it. I used to do a lot of singing, and find that the sound sof my own voice cause me so much discomfort I don't even enjoy it myself.

Let's hope someone else joins the discussion with some strategies for coping.

I'd hoped to have a hearing aid to help with the hearing loss and tinnitus, but this only amplified the hyperacusis to an excrutiating level. The pain was more than I could cope with. So fingers crossed that someone else has found a solution.

• Posted

There is a forum called Tinnitus with  a very large following ,which will

more than likely answer a lot of yours and Moy's questions. Join in

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline. I thought I started this thread in the Tinnitus Forum. 

I'll take another look. 

• Posted

You,did, you are in the right buiding, but in the wrong room. You have to 

be specific, about where you want to be. .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.