Managing pain without meds

Posted , 6 users are following.

My girlfriend has severe rheumatoid arthritis and she just recently lost her job and has no insurance and cannot afford her meds. I was hoping that somebody has been through this before and can help me and give me an idea what I can do to help relieve her pain.. thank you

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert, I'm sorry to hear of your girlfriends loss of her job. I hope it wasn't due to her RA. I too AM an uninsured, but there are a lot of free trials out there that the big companies will offer to patients for absolutely free. If she has a Rheumatologist, have her ask that Dr about the several programs available that will allow her to get the help she needs without any cost to her. They are trials for medicines such as Enbrel and Humira, etc

Good luck to you both! I hope you find what you need. RA is a real drag.

• Posted

Hi Robert, it's horrible. I am sure that there is some gov org or non profit that can help her. In a meanwhile - she should avoid carbs and sugar as much as possible. Reduce her coffeine. Lots of rest. Hot pillows/electric blanket may help. Oil fish and magnesium supplements. Cherries are said to help - never tried these myself. Fresh vegetables and fruits. Reduce diary products. Reduce fat while cooking. Reduce red meat and meat in general... There are some herbs that may help but I don't render the names - only cook with some occasionally rather than take these daily - sure that someone else here will remember. So sorry to hear..
  • Posted

Robert it' sounds like your in the states if so look up ra warrior

She's brilliant and would know better than me what to do and where to get help good luck to your lady and don't disparate every one will tell you these things take time take care steve.b

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.