Managing withdrawal of long-term steroid therapy after Immunotherapy treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 55 year old son had Immunotherapy treatment for melanoma.  Prior to that had some lesions surgically removed. Since treatment has had periodic scans that show no signs of recurrence. Now dealing with side-effects issues trying to get steroid meds (prednisone) tapered off.  Anyone with experience in managing this withdrawal? Can't seem to get body to generate it's own cortisol.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My understanding of steroids from my Consultant is that Hydrocortisone is more readily absorbed than Prednisone.

I myself have been trying to manage or at least scale down Hydrocortisone following 2 serious bouts of Pneumonia (100mgs of Hydrocortisone taken daily at the time). It is a very long and laborious process but, after 6 months, reducing this steroid by 5mgs each 2-3 weeks, I seem to be making progress (ie not suffering from severe abdominal pain and vomiting because the dose was insufficient and reduced too quickly).

Do hope that this information may be of some use. 

• Posted

I agree with taking hydrocortisone . World Health Organisation recommendes hydrocortisone as number 1. Prednisone is lower in the list of recommended cortisol replacement medications. There is a list in Internet. I do not remember what I 'googled' though.

• Posted

My apologies for not having replied to your email  properly. What I meant is that I am not familiar with tapering off prednisone ... as I never took it. smile Many of us do not produce enough cortisol... ask your doctor to switch from prednisone to hydrocortisone, I've read it can be done, but you need professional advice for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.