mandatory reconsideration

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can I mandatory reconsideration for be done over the phone i.e 

Instead of writing to them to tell them why you think the decision was wrong and having to explain in writing , can it be done over the phone where you explain over the phone why you think the decision was wrong ? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No because doing it this way there would be no proof that you've asked for the MR in the first place. The DWP don't want people taking their decisions to appeal and could easily say you never asked for it. You'll need to put your request in writing pointing out where you think you should have gained those points. Hopefully you have a copy of the assessment report, if not then plz ring DWP and ask them to send it to you. You only have 1 month from the date of the decision for the MR.

• Posted

I spoke to them on the phone this morning they told me I have to request a mandatory reconsideration in writing then when that's been approved I can ring them up and they could put me through to the mandatory reconsideration team and someone would be available for me to do the mandatory reconsideration  on the phone I could explain over the phone why I think the decision is wrong I could argue my case over the phone then they would write to me with a decision 

• Posted

Hi Paul. Like Denise said over the phone you have no proof what they put down is what you've told them. Filling the forms in yourself is the best way. As it's your own wording and no one can change this. Most MR's come back the same. So beware and ready to take it to tribunal. I have just nicely gone through this. A nd won my tribunal receiving enhanced for both daily living and mobility. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense. If you request the MR in writing why would you need to ring them and request it again over the phone. You wouldn't argue your case over the phone. I have no idea who told you this but they're wrong. You put your MR request in writing stating what point s you think you should have got and why. They also don't "approve" you MR request. MR decisions can take weeks, sometimes months. 80% of MR decisions remain the same anyway so the chances of you having to take it to tribunal are very high. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. It's much less for those who ask for a paper based decision.

• Posted

Yes that's exactly what I thought I had to ask  her to explain it to me twice . She motioned sometime about  they will open up a case file and you do it over the phone 

• Posted

I have just spoken to DWP  again I have asked them about the mandatory . They said that once I receive the decision letter saying I had not been awarded PIP if I wish I can do the mandatory reconsideration process over the phone , so once I receive decision letter I can  ring up and ask for a mandatory reconsideration and it will be put in file immediately that I want a mandatory reconsideration and whilst on the phone I can then explain to them what points of the decision I'm not happy with and they will put it all down on a form then they will write to me with a decision .

That's what they said the whole mandatory reconsideration process can be done over the phone if I wish .

• Posted

If you want to take that risk and trust the DWP to take your MR request this way then that's entirely your choice BUT they won't ring you for you to argue your case like you said in your post earlier. It's better for everyone who asks for the MR to put it in writing. DWP can easily tell you that you haven't asked for this and you will have lost your chance. I know myself and many many other people would not take this HUGE risk!. Can i ask why you want to take this risk and do it over the phone rather than write a letter pointing out where you think you should have scored those points?

• Posted

I know what you are saying .

It's just that I feel i should have been awarded points for certain things and I think it's easier to explain things to people  when you are actually talking to someone rather than writing it down in a letter 

• Posted

By the way I had my face to face home as assessment last Tuesday and when I rang up today they said a decision has been made yesterday so it was very quick turnaround to get a decision just over a week . They have put decision letter and copy of face to face report in the post to me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.