Mania switch

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is it true that your bipolar if you medically switch to mania/hypo mania having taken antidepressants only?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Michelle...

I don't fully understand what you mean?

Could you elaborate/explain further please. Then I may be able to offer an opinion. ;0)

• Posted

Hi, Michelle,

Most psychiatrists and mental health professionals seem to think so. If you suffers low and are put on antidepressants, and you then switch into mania or hypomania, then normally you would be put on a mood stabilizer or a nuroleptic. It usually means you are sensitive to antidepressants and have a bad reaction to them. I was put on seroxat only years ago, and became off the wall completely. So they immediately put me on mood stabiliser. Or it might just mean you need a lower dose. It''s best to discuss it with your mental health professional. I hope this has been of some help. Take care

• Posted

After reading Frank's reply I wondered whether that's what you meant?!

I'm capable of self inducing hypomanic episodes & they can initiate without me forcing them with a handful of the trigger symptoms too.

As Frank says, antidepressants can also induce 'highs' if your system is sensitive to them & mood stabilisers are then the drug of choice!

Trouble is, I loathe the lows & I'm productive of the highs & mood stabilisers tend to protect the mania onsets more effectively than preventing the depression.

Medication can take awhile to perfect & balance...

• Posted

Thank you

I was on 3 antidepressants before being put on carbamazapine also, due to switching to hyper mania.

I was discharged from the mental health clinic back to my GP who has been given instructions regarding my medication.

I went to my GP asking for my mood stablizers to be increased after detecting the signs and symptoms that I was entering a manic phase and she refused, telling me it will counteract the antidepressants I'm on. She also gave me a number for an anger management course, which I know is not what I need.

I'm very confused as I know myself what is happening and I don't know what to do.

Do I take it upon myself to increase my meds, see another GP or get referred back to the mental health crew?

I don't feel that enough time was spent with the physiatrist to fully find out my past circumstances and I don't feel the GP knows 100% what she's doing!

Any advise greatly appreciated

• Posted

Hello, Michelle,

If you feel you are not being listened to, then it is your right to see another GP or to be under the care of one who is more sympathetic to your plight. I too have had to contend with GPs and psychiatrists who were steadfastly rigid in their thinking. 'Doctor knows best' doesn't apply all the time! YOU yourself know what works and what doesn't, and what feels right or doesn't. You might try contacting SANE or MIND to ask advice and the possibly of them advocating on your behalf. I have found them helpful.

I hope this is of some help. Take care and don't lose hope

• Posted

Frank this is sound advice & so right!

It takes confidence to stand your ground, however worth it!

The whole idea 'Dr knows best' is NOT always the case!

We are our own experts, we know ourselves best & should only be guided not rail roaded into decisions!

I have fought against taking Lithium & constantly discuss the adjustment of my dosages on meds.

If you're self aware & have personal insight; and genuinely know yourself & how bipolar affects you. Then the practitioners HAVE to listen!!

I hope Michelle has the confidence to seek further advice & feels listened to in the future. ;0)

• Posted

Thank you both very much. The advise you have both given has been what I needed to here.

Xxx

• Posted

You're very welcome, Michelle. I'm glad I could be of help. It's always reassuring to know you're not alone in having to endure these experiences. A wise man once told me that every doctor or medical practitionershould ask himself the same qquestion "How would I feel if I was in this person's shoes?" Unfortunately, so few of them do! That is not ytosay sall doctors are bad or incompetent or uncaring. Stay strong and confident, know your own mind and opinions, protect your own interests, and take no nonsense from them! You'll do just fine. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.