Manipulation

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 15wks post tkr n I was stuck at -10 / 100. Had manipulation yesterday and was dreading it as had read lots of negative stories however knee feels so much better. During manipulation surgeon go -0/130.

Today just a little swelling and only paracetamol required. Sitting Here with leg up and oven glove over knee with two tins each side.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end and I can continue to achieve what was achieved when under GA

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for posting this. It gives me hope since I think I'm destined for manipulation. But oven gloves & tin?

• Posted

I'm from the other side of the pond and apparently terri is as well. Please educate us on the usage of the words "oven gloves and tins". I'm picturing a giant potholder that fits over your whole hand with cans of tunafish on each side. Dying to know!

• Posted

I tried to upload a photo no joy.

Oven gloves that have pockets at each end for ur hands when removing items from oven. Place oven glove over ur knee once extended on chair and in the pockets place tins of food as weights. I was also told to use shopping bags as an alternative but found gloves so much easier. Nothing hi tech but simple and effective

• Posted

LOL! Thanks for the description. I wasn't too far off, except I've never used an oven glove that has openings on both ends. Very cool! Hope it's helping.

• Posted

Ok. Thanks for the description. So it's not that we're on different sides of the pond. Just a creative & simple method.

• Posted

I've never read anything here saying manipulation was painful. I had it and there was no pain involved. You are knocked out for a few minutes! That's it! You can move so much better afterwards and it moves you further ahead. Best of luck now that you can move better.

• Posted

Thanks. I guess I just got a negative impression about manipulation from my PTs. My in home PT kind of scared me by saying that if I didn't do my exercises & get my knee bent I'd have to go for manipulation and start all over. I took that to mean back to the beginning pain & intense therapy. My current PT is also against it but not sure why. I guess I'll have to question him.

• Posted

Terri- your surgeon is the one to manipulate you. The PTs push and force and hurt. EAsier after manipulation and less time healing. The PTs sometimes want to keep you in therapy ($$$) again, it's your surgeons call but there is only a window of opportunity to get it done.

• Posted

Thanks Karen. Going to the surgeon on Tues. just for him to check & see if manipulation is necessary. Re the PT, I was told that I'll need PT even more often after manipulation.

• Posted

HI maura,thats magic to hear i go in on 18th july and cant wait to get it over with the comments on this forum give me hope i'l let you all know how i get on i try not to look at post just now incase i see any scary one's lol,but happy for you.x

• Posted

Good result for you. Never stop trying to recover. I am at 15 months post op both knees and starting to love my new knees. They are powerful and carry me happily. xx
    • Posted

Hi 5lyn32426 -

I know that you are 15 months post TKR and I just read that you are loving your knees. Did you have to have a manipulation? If yes, at how many months after surgery? Thanks J-21370

• Posted

Hi there. I had no manipulation. It was not

required fortunately. I worked HARD to diminish scar tissue. My friend had to have laser surgery to remove scar tissue at 10 weeks post op as he got an infection and could not do the exercises due to pain. I had a brilliant physio who came to my home around 2.5 weeks after surgery. She told me to massage my knee cap, move my knee backwards and forwards on tiles whilst seated. Also I got on to YouTube and saw some valuable exercises there. I still do quad exercises every night, without fail and pool walk for 30 mins as often as I can. I travel a lot and walk a lot. This afternoon I dislike my knees. They are aching from too much effort like stair climbing and lugging my backpack yesterday. Good luck lovee 😍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.