Manipulation

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had bilateral tkr January 18. The worse knee is progressing, but my left knee can’t bend pass 74. I am fearful of having to go in for a manipulation.  I’m not good with anesthesia and have heard it can be very painful for a few days since the doctor is trying to break up scar tissue. Is that true?  I am getting frustrated and want to get on with my normal activities. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Nance, make sure that they give you something up front for nausea from the anesthestitic and ice ice ice it after the manipulation it is true it can be painful but from what I have read not always i will be praying the your manipulation goes extremely well please let me know how you do
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice. I’ll know what’s happening by Friday 😄

• Posted

Hi, I had TKR in Sept 17 and struggled with ROM all along, got to 90, that was it.  Usually this is what they aim for but as I was only 50 my physio recommended that I have an MUA. Procedure was quick and pain afterwards was manageable. In fact for the first 3-4 days felt great, little swelling and leg felt ‘free’.  Unfortunately day 5 onwards the swelling started and bend reduced considerably!  3 weeks on I am now 120 ROM which I am happy with but still pushing it to get more.  I was also fearful of the procedure but it really wasn’t that bad. Good luck to you whatever happens. Sharon
  • Posted

Hi, I'm like you I'm not good with a general anaesthetic as I get sick, I had my TKR on 9th January and I've been stuck at 45 deg since I left hospital , I saw the consultant 3 weeks ago, he's given me till 20th March ( this tuesday) to bend myself or a manipulation. The whole idea of it absolutely terrifies me. I've been pushing my knee until I've been in tears, the PT has aswel but it just feels like a block of cement around it. I hope yours goes ok. Let us all know how you get on xx

• Posted

Thanks I will not sure what I’m going to do yet. This would be the second manipulation and I’m scared. The pain is more than o can handle right now, what will it be like with in office manipulation with nothing for pain.
    • Posted

Thanks. I hope you get good news. I’ll know by Friday. Scared...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.