Manipulation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi 48, I'm 15 weeks post TKR, I had a manipulation 3 weeks ago, surgeon got the bend to 130, I've only managed between 75-90 at PT and I got 100 in hydrotherapy. I have a very stiff knee all the time. I'm seeing my consultant next Thursday and am worried about what he will say about my progress, he wasn't very Happy about the 1st manipulation as he said it was rare , had me apologising to him as I felt I had let him down. What is the most they expect from the bend? And will they do a 2nd manipulation. I'm dreading seeing him this journey has been awful, I'm exercising 3 x a day and going for walks but my knee is very stiff and always seems very swollen and purple in colour . Any advice appreciated x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie I am 13 weeks post tkr.I saw my surgeon just recently and he was happy with my 90 and said just to  continue with my skateboard exercise.I can basically straighten my leg nearly to normal.I am in N Ireland and we aren’t offered any physio once discharged from hospital.

I would try not to stress too much as it’s sounds as if you’re doing everything you can.

Good luck☘️

• Posted

You will get to the 130 mark and it may not be today tomorrow next week or even next month. There is no rule that says you have to be at a set ROM by a certain date. I should know been thru this numerous times. Some do better then others some do worse then others but it does not matter we are all different. I have been fortunate after 5 TKR's I have always been able to get 130 to 133 which the therapist I have had thought that was amazing considering the many TKR I have had on my L knee. So that is great but I cannot lift my leg so its straight I have approx 15-20 degree bend. It is possible you maybe overdoing it?? If you over do it you will notice increased swelling lots of pain your knee will be warmer to the touch. If that is the case back off maybe it was wrong but when I had therapy 2 x a week ( Tues and Thursady ) I would take a break on Wednesday and do a little on Friday and do my full set on the weekend. What exercises are you doing to increase your range of motion?? Maybe I can offer some suggestions if you want?? As far as the swelling its been pretty close to 2 years I still have swelling although I think a lot of mine is from improper alignment as well as according to my last bone scan the implant is failing. My opinion and I may be wrong your going to have some always but not to the point its very apparent as it is now. It may take time but you will get thru this it just takes time.

Norm

• Posted

Hi Natalie hope all goes well next week with your consult. Try ice packs wrap in a tea towels my knee still swollen and brushed at the sides and be low my knee cap. I also notice my foot goes a slight purple which I ask the physio about she told me the brusin g works it's way down hopefully all is ok.x

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments, I'm having a day of icing today as it's painful. I was hoping to start driving this week just short journeys to the supermarket , but as it's my left knee and I have a manual car not sure how my knee will cope but will keep going 😁

• Posted

Is your left knee worse than your right knee as it is my left knee which I had done 13 wks Wednesday coming.Hope you are out of pain soon natalie.xx
    • Posted

I am fortunate my Honda Accord it an automatic thankfully. Now if I had a stick OUCH!! I would almost bet its not going to be easy getting in or out of your care much less sitting in it for long periods of time. In time you will get there but take it easy. Once I got the okay to drive at first it was just to Dr.'s appt and therapist and that wore me out. Trying to stay positive just think whether its a painful day or not your still getting closer to when the pain will be all but a distant memory. The bad part no idea when that day will come but you are getting closer.Please do not over do it and I am wishing you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.