Manipulation after TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having a manipulation next Wednesday, I will be exactly 12 weeks post-op. I am stuck with a flexion of somewhere between 94 - 102, but I am out of physical therapy visits so was concerned that I wouldn't get any more ROM at home by myself. So, I asked my surgeon about a manipulation and now it's scheduled! I am praying it works. My ROM right now has me functioning and moving around pretty well, but still hard to get in and out of a chair, the car, the shower. Taking the dog out for a walk is hard. The 102 measurment I got was under force! No way I could get that on my own. So I'm happy I'm getting the manipulation. Has anyone had this and have an experience they want to share?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle.  I had it done around 14 weeks and wish that I had it done sooner.  I was stuck around 90 and got to 105.  I'm around 105-110 now, 10 months post op.  I had 6 surgeries on the the same knee from a car accident, so I onlty had 110 prior to TKR.  I was SO scared to have it, but it was quick & not too bad.  You'll have to go to a lot of PT, but I'm sure it will be good in the long run.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks Shannon! I was at 112 before surgery so I would at least like to get back to that. The goal is 120 though. smile

• Posted

120 would be amazing!  I told myself that if I could go down stairs alright,  spin and row, I'd be happy....I can do all, so I am not going to complain!  Best of luck, you'll do great!

• Posted

I never had a manipulation.  At the beginning, I was in so much pain, and no pain meds except paracetamol, that I more or less told the physiotherapist to go away.  I worked at it slowly, pushing myself just to belw the limit of my pain threshhold, instead of the agony the physio wanted.  Perhaps I took long to get where I am now, but I have ended up with just over 130, which is fine for me, without excessive pain.  Perseverance, yes . . .and in fact getting it to 0 extension was almost more difficult in the end than getting the bend.  But everyone is different. I wish you good luck with the manipulation. 
  • Posted

An afterthought. . the manipulation won't work miracles. You will still have to keep either going to physiotherapy, or doing it yourself at home, or it is likely to regress again . . . 

• Posted

I talked to my Physical therapist and she is going to work with me "off the books" after the manipulation to keep me where I need to be, and...I'll be working my button off at home of course. smile

• Posted

Just don't let them hurt you too much. . it isn't necessary . . or at least, it wasn't necessary for me.  I'm not fond of agony!

• Posted

I'm sorry I've talk to my Doctor and my rom just reached 90 like doctors say it takes time and some never get past that even after you do a manipulation there's no guarantee you will get any further. I had my tkr on June 30 2016. I wish you the best of luck yet I myself would wait at least a few months longer. I went out and purchased a stationary bike and I ride it 2 to 3 times a day 10 minutes each time that has help me wonderfully. I don't think people don't give themselves enough time to heal. I wish you best of luck..

• Posted

Thanks. I don't even have the necessary ROM to ride a stationary bike. They also say that if you have a manipulation, it is better to do so within the first 3 months after your surgery. It's worth it to me. smile

• Posted

Agreed!  I had my MUA at 14 weeks because I kept stalling, but the longer you wait, the more scar tissue builds up.  I couldn't do a full revolution on a bike & I just "celebrated" my 100th ride on my spin bike today!  It'll be great for you, even if it is 5-10 degrees, that is a big deal!  You'll do great!

• Posted

Thanks, I hope so! Did you have a lot of pain after? How soon could you drive ?
    • Posted

I was sore and pretty swollen.  The first day was brutal, but not horribly bad after that.  Be sure you take pain meds before your PT.  I took 1 1/2 tramodal 1 hour before PT each day and it really helped.  My leg was my right leg & I think I drove in a week and a half or so...probably sooner than I should have.  Ice and rest as much as you can!

• Posted

Oh goodness! I was hoping to go back to work the next week! Yikes.Well, we'll see what happens I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.