Manipulation after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

im 5weeks post TKR and I am only bending to 40 degrees. My PT is suggesting to my surgeon I have a MUA, which I am terrified about. In the meantime I will be having hydrotherapy to strengthen the muscles. I have a few questions, how long does a MUA take, are you under for long? Does it set your recovery back? Is it painful? Do you stay in hospital over night? So sorry for all the questions I'm terrified, I'm 47 and really thought the recovery would be a little easier than this, it's certainly a roller coaster of a journey.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I am sure people with experience of MAU will post, but if you want to also look back on past posts it is possible to do that on this forum.

You can choose older posts by picking through the page numbers shown on the KNEE PROBLEMS main page. Look to the right of the page subtitle "All discussions in this group" and you will see page 1 but flick on the arrow to see other previous pages also.

Good wishes for now,

Jenny

• Posted

Hi there, I’m 50 and I think I’ve been through a lot, always had problems with my knee bend. At 5 weeks I think I was 60, I had hydrotherapy which was excellent and at 7 weeks when I saw consultant I was 90 so avoided MUA at that time.  Unfortunately that’s where it stopped, even though we tried hard between PT and myself it hasn’t moved since, lots of scar tissue apparently. Saw my consultant last week and at 5 months I’m going for MUA in 2 weeks. I was dreading it but after struggling for weeks I just want to get it done & get on with my recovery.  I’ve heard it’s only a short operation, until they get a decent bend, I’ll be home the same day. We’re all different so no recovery is the same but I’m guessing more swelling & bruising. I’ve gone back to work so more time off...all part of the healing process.  Good luck to you, hope it all goes well. 

• Posted

Sorry, I'm no help, I had to look up what a MUA was. Maybe if you Googled it you might find the answers to your questions. Good luck. 😊😊

• Posted

Hello, there. Its been 10 wks. Since my total lkr surgery. I have a 90 bend and my PT lady said I am progressing. EVERY knee is different. I read doctors will do MUA only when necessary and not usually until 10 or 12th week after operation. Did you try to break up scar tissue by massage the scar area? Idk. I walk and complete the PT exercises everyday. Good Luck.

Chico Marx is a great advice giver..

• Posted

Hi Natalie. I am 14 weeks post TKR left knee. I am a lot like you. My bend has been bad since day 1. I had to have MUA at 4 weeks. I still am only at 85 and the MUA was extremely painful for me. I have continued with PT 3 times a weeks and nothing has changed. I had a second opinion and he basically told me to drink a beer and sit on the tailgate of my husband's truck. (Since alcohol is a natural muscle relaxer). Very frustrated to say the least. I wish I had wonderful words of wisdom for you but we are in the same boat.

• Posted

Oh no poor you Debbie, it's so frustrating as I'm exercising religiously but just can't get through the stiffness. I so would love a glass of wine as I'm sure it would make me sleep better lol but not allowed on the painkillers. I hope things get better for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.