Manipulation of the knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi I had a TKR 20 months ago but have suffered since with tightness and pain hospital have now decided to do a manipulation after Xmas I'm a bit worried as I thought manipulation was done soon after TKR any one had this procedure done so long after .

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eileen!

I hear ya and literally understand your pain.....I am 3 months post TKR and was doing great with PT until about 3 1/2 weeks ago when I started to slip backwards and now I can barely get my knee to bend more than 100, and my extension is about a 7. I recieved an extension board (AKA The Board of Torture) that I have been using daily to strap myself to in order to try and get the leg to straighten. After a week, I don't see any difference. If this doesn't work then I will need to get a manipulation to break up the scar tissue that has formed on the sides of my new knee.....not looking forward to it, but can't take this chronic ache when I walk. Good luck to both of us!

• Posted

i had a manipulation at about 12 weeks I am 21 months post TKR I have been excellent since manipulation . You'll soar with success afterwards it takes all of 15 min. DONT WORRY!

• Posted

thank you 12 weeks is about normal but nearly 2 years for me so scar tissue I think will be well and truly unbreakable 😪

• Posted

Was 20 months a typo? If not, that is a long time, but I just had one 8 months Post op, and it helped.... good luck.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

I am now 13 months post op and had a manipulation at 7 months. Before op I had a bend to my bottom and was very fit and mid 50's. Unfortunately op didn't go too well and it took 4 months to activate my quad muscles. At 6 months i had about 110 bend by 10 degree lapse on straightening. Went in on a general for the manipulation and didn't know anything about it. They managed 130 under anaesthetic but couldn't get leg more than -5 straight. I came out with crutches but could have walked out. I took it easy for a couple of days. No pain, or no more than a paraceptamol would sort! I have managed to keep the 130 bend and am gradually getting it straighter, so definitely worth a try!! I do exercise regularly, and have always done so, so this may help.

Unfortunately I slipped down some stairs in the rain 5 weeks ago and as it weakened my knee it then gave way on stairs a week ago and I fell down several before landing in a heap at the bottom. Luckily knee not broken but have damaged some tissue so awaiting an appointment with a surgeon to have it checked over.

So get that manipulation booked and let me know how you get on!

• Posted

thank you for replying I feel much better after reading your story. I will get it done but needed a bit of advice of people I will keep you informed.

• Posted

I had TKR 6 years ago. No manipulation.

Prior to that I had several operations on my knees and had a manipulation after one of them.

I think it was a few months afterwards certainly not 20 months.

I think the thing is they do not like to manipulate unless it is absolutely necessary so they leave it as long as possible to see if physiotherapy will help. It is better if you can get away without a manipulation, but I would not worry about it.

My recollection is also that it was extremely painful when I came round from the manipulation but this did not last long.

Hope everything goes OK.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I had dreaded my manipulation like crazy, but honestly, , the difference it made was worth it. Plus the doc did another procedure at the same time, But, it was not as painful as after my TKR. You'll be fine.

• Posted

I will probably be having a manipulation done in the next few weeks...thanks to all who have given support!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.