Manipulation scheduled. I'm apprehensive.

Posted , 36 users are following.

I saw my surgeon yesterday and he took one look at my bend and said he would manipulate it, but not until I was at 12 weeks so that is in another 3 weeks from now. In the meantime I've stopped physical therapy so that I will still have some left for after the manipulation. I had got to 105 under force, but I think that under my own steam I'm only making about 90. My apprehension comes from the fact that his nurse told me they do it under a general rather than an epidural - because it's such a 'rough' procedure. My heart doesn't do well under general anesthesia.

I'm so tired of all the ups and downs - a big up because I made 105 and then a big down because I couldn't keep it. Feeling up because the medication is working one day and then down because the pain is back the next. And now I don't know whether I should be up or down - up perhaps because it might finally get bent and down because of the anesthesia worry.

I don't really have a question. I just know that you are the only people I can talk to who understand.

5 likes, 140 replies

140 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Joan, Keep taking the pain meds and exercise 1 hour after taking them, I do 3 times a day. I don't know what meds you are on but my  doctor  prescribed 1 X panadol forte and 1 X panadol Max 4 times a day and that was at 4 weeks and gave me a 10 week supply.   90 degrees is not that bad after 9 weeks, if you can work at getting up to about 120 degrees in the next 3 weeks you might avoid the manipulation. We are all differrent and things can change quite quickly in the TKR world. Good luck anyway, Regards Paul
    • Posted

I'm on oxycodone. I'm still exercising, but getting to 120 in 3 weeks sounds like an impossible task. Still, I'll keep trying. 
  • Posted

The good part of the general, you go under deep but not too long as I understand. If that's the case, it's much easier con the system and coming out of it not as difficult as they can use a different drug. I feel your frustration. You may have read my post a few weeks ago about my fall did to a kidney infection and quick drop in blood pressure. Landed on my knees and forehead, splitting my head open and requiring an ambulance ride to the hospital, stitches and 5 day stay to clear up the infection. Didn't think I hurt my bad leg but 3 weeks later pain started and now I'm back in therapy. I had been @ 120° when I finished therapy the last time and in the short time between the hospitalization and gettingvback to therapy I dropped to 105. . I will be going 2x's weekly through Feb. I have a tremendous amount of scar tissue in the upper leg that has to be torn loose. Just because I kow what and how to do it doesn't make it any easier and boesnt keep me from dreading the process. I have really been depressed the last few weeks but know it will get better with time and effort. I turn 78 in a caouplevof weeks and sure didn't want to be going through this again for the 3rd straight birthday. At least they wont have to be trying to teach an old dog new tricks, just reinforcing thecikd ones.

Try and not worry too much about the manipulation and think about the positive side of getting the bend back in a hurry

• Posted

I did read your post - gosh you have been through the wringer. I should think about that and stop complaining.

Perhaps you are right about the general. I don't expect I will need to be under for very long. The surgeon said he was not worried about manipulating my knee because I can straighten it. He said it was much harder if the knee wouldn't straighten. Then he would have to go in and cut the scar tissue away. He also said that I would be going home the same day. It's just one of those up and down things again. I was feeling up because I thought I could avoid it, but the surgeon didn't hesitate. He looked at my bend and said 'I'll manipulate it'. No maybe's at all.

• Posted

Hi Joan,

?I am wondering how you are doing now? Your letter really hit home with me. I had my knee replacement on March 6, 2018 and have been going to therapy faithfully two times a week and working out at home twice a day. Im at 95 degrees at 6 weeks out and although during therapy my PT got me to 112, I was basically screaming in pain. There has not been one therapy appt that I have not cried. So today at my appt my surgeon scheduled me for manipulation this Friday. He was very good at explaining why and that I should be able to bend on my own freely without torchure! I, like you, sat in my car after all that news and cried. I guess because of the pain of it all and how hard Ive been working to get through it, feels lost and also my worry of the pain of surgery again! Reading through many letters here, it sounds like I am dog the right thing and will be better off with it. Just wondering how you are doing now? Thanks, 

?Eileen

• Posted

Hi, Eileen!

I’m wondering how you are doing after your manipulation. I may be facing that procedure. I see my surgeon Monday. My surgery was February 27th and as of yesterday, I measured 98* even though I had reached 100 a couple of times. I am not looking forward to it for sure.  It seems like I’ll be starting all over. It took a long time for the swelling to go down the first time!

I hope you are doing well and can maybe offer a little encouragement that it is worth it.

Sandy

• Posted

Hello Sandy! I had the manipulation 2 weeks ago and although I was pretty scared to do it, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I was put under general anesthesia and it only took about 10 min. I was in pain when I woke up and the recovery nurse had to give me a few pushes of, I think morphine before I felt normal. Then she gave me a oxy pill and something to eat and drink and I was on my way home. I had it done on a Friday and my therapist was not able to see me until Monday so my husband worked the bend in my knee. In therapy the next week they got me to 110 and then 120 but that was pushing hard and painful. I saw the therapist everyday that week. I made a decision to change therapist last week to a center that does aquatics. I was able to get into a 95 degree pool 3x last week and I’m telling you I never felt so good. I see the new therapist tomorrow and he will do water therapy and regular therapy. I wish I would have started this long ago! I’ll keep you posted as to where he gets me but I told him I was comfortable at 110 but 120 kills me and I’m so done with being pushed to that pain level, I need to find a new way and I think I’ve found it! Please don’t be scared if you need manipulation, it sets you back as far as pain but moves you forward with the bend. I’d love to hear from you again!

Best wishes, 

Eileen

• Posted

Hi, Eileen! Thanks for getting back to me. I saw my surgeon and he did recommend manipulation so it’s set for May 17th. It sounds like you feel pretty good about it now so I’m feeling hopeful. 

I’d love to hear more about the water therapy. I, too, hate the hard pushing especially since the pain medication I have doesn’t seem to touch it, and taking two pills didn’t do anything but make me nauseous! 

Thanks for for your encouragement. I’ll let you know how it goes🙂

• Posted

Hi Sandy! I’ll be thinking about you tomorrow and sending prayers for your quick recovery. I forgot to mention your thigh above your knee will be sore. Sometimes you may have some bruising but nothing a little lavender can’t heal. Let me know how you’re doing when you can. I’m loving my warm water therapy and making good progress! 
    • Posted

Hi, Eileen! Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers. I am apprehensive but know that it’s what I have to do to get the best possible results. I’m glad you are doing well. Perhaps we’ll both come through this with good results. 

Sandy

• Posted

Hi Sandy! Wondering how your recovery is going and where you are so far? Thinking of you!

Eileen

• Posted

Hi, Eileen! I am doing my 5th day of therapy tomorrow before dropping to three days a week. I’m very pleased with the results so far. Almost 24 hours after the manipulation, the nerve block wore off and I felt a little discomfort but not enough to medicate. I really can’t believe how much different my knee feels! Therapy still hurts but not like before. Today, I bent my knee (using a machine) to 115* I feel like I’m on the right track to recovery now!

Thanks for the note about thigh soreness. I did have some muscle soreness on the third day ....but my knee still bent!

Hope you are still improving. Thanks for sharing with me🙂

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

I just found this site and realize that you may have moved on in your recovery and might not be monitoring this. I think I am going to schedule an MUA for my left knee after PT has not been able to move it past 100-105 flexion. I will be 11 weeks out from my knee replacement in a few day. I am terrified of the pain after the MUA. My surgeon has told me that I will have pain meds and be sore. Right now I only have slight discomfort that Aleve and Tylenol are handling. Hate going back on an opiod but if it is only for a week or so I think I can handle it. I am very afraid that the swelling and soreness afterwards will prevent me from doing the necessary exercises. Has anyone been given muscle relaxers? I'm grasping at straws I think but I have been so worried.....I think a lot of this is a mind game. The pain following the replacement was much worse than I had anticipated and I never want to experience that again.....SO SCARED!!!! Any advice will be appreciated...thank you!

• Posted

can i just say after having both of my knees totally replaced at the same time and then only getting them to 90 the manipulation was a big help huge excellent

so read back though your post there are words that i understand but you need to clear them from your mind to more positive messages for your mind and it will make it so much easier for you

terrified afraid scared

let me reassure you you have been though the worst already that is done !

just look at the manipulation as a extra gym session where you don't even need to do the work

ice and pain killers after and then it is much easier for you to do the work needed to keep them bending

its just a fine tune and in my experience really helpful

actually saves you time and less pain in the long term

so swap the three words that keep going going around in your mind for

BRING IT ON

BRAVE and

I'VE GOT THIS

bees knees

DI SCOTT

• Posted

Thank you for your response.....I will change the chatter in my mind to a more positive conversation!

• Posted

Hi, Veronica!

I fully understand your apprehension about having the manipulation. I, too, was scared of the pain and the possible setback. I couldn't imagine that the swelling and difficulty in bending wouldn't start at square one.

To my surprise, and in my case, the pain was not as bad as I had imagined! I worried about that first therapy visit right after the manipulation, but the fact that I could bend my knee and didn't have the excruciating pain that I had during therapy before the manipulation totally freed me!

I have just had my left knee replaced, and am having a much better bending this time around! However, I would not hesitate to do another manipulation if it were needed. Everyone is different, but I hope your manipulation goes well. A positive outlook does help so please know that it may not be as bad as you fear and you may be "pleasantly" surprised at the outcome 😃 Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

Thank you so much for getting back to me...you have helped me more than you can know!

• Posted

HI Sandy!

Hope your doing well now? My year anniversary is coming up March 6th, hard to believe an entire year already! I am now able to walk 5 miles with good deal of incline with no pain. Riding my stationary bike everyday and doing lunges and squats with no problems. Once in a while i get a little sore at night but nothing a little ice wont help. Plus i live in a 3 story so climb stairs everyday! Getting my new knee was hard as far as pain went but worth it now, i can honestly say, it was worth it! Please let me know how you are doing, i would love to hear from you!

EILEEN

• Posted

Hi, Eileen!

I'm glad to hear that everything has worked out for you! It sounds as though you are doing very well and continuing to work that new knee. My one year anniversary is next week on the 27th and I, too, feel great though I'm not nearly as active as you! I did a wellness program after being discharged from therapy which had me working out three times a week until recently.

Right now, I'm recovering from having my left knee replaced almost four weeks ago. This time, I am able to bend much better so I think I'll avoid manipulation. In any case, I'm thankful to have my right knee as a reminder that this time next year, things will be much better!

It was nice to hear from you! ........Sandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.