Manipulation under anaesthesia after bunion operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I had a bunion operation on my right foot in May 2015 as walking was as painful as sitting on a cactus. The operation went well considering that they put down "hip replacement" on my medical card by mistake 20 minutes before my bunion operation.The following months were quite painful, in fact I would say that you will feel less pain if you have a daily Brazilian wax or swim with some alligators. If you love high heels like me well you have more chances to marry Frank Sinatra than being able to wear heels for at least 8 months! Recovery is a long road and after following the instructions from the surgeon to rest, my big toe became frozen & looks like a fish finger , I don't try to wear open sandals around kids in case they feel like fish fingers. My surgeon has booked me for a manipulation under anaesthesia to make my toe more flexible ...  In other words he will pull my big toe until it's longer than Brooklyn bridge and snap it like sugar snaps.

just wondering if anyone had MUA after a bunion operation and what the results have been, was the recovery a long and painful experience like the bunion operation ? Can you wear normal shoes again and pain free ? All your precious advices are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading, Laila

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am having the same problem, my big toe does not bend, (very slightly) and where the bunion was that part on the foot is not bending, either is the arch of my foot, is bending a little, very limited, so scared its not going to bend like my other foot, I am already regretting surgery, I understand how you feel, I am a womans size 10, and wearing a mens wide width 101/2 which equals to a womans 12 1/2 not happy,
    • Posted

Mary you must do the excercises to get the mobility back. It really is worth it in the end but you must persevere. I too thought I would never get back into normal shoes my foot seemed to be swollen forever but here I am 5 months later back in heeled shoes. Stick with it you will get there. Good luck .xx
    • Posted

Thanks carol but it is 5 months I bend my toes every day, do toecurls, plus lots of exercises you are already in high heels I cant even get into my reg size sneakersad I cant even imagine shoes,
    • Posted

Carole I also had my surgery in July, and you are already in high heels, that's why I am concerned, I cant even think of high heels, did you have the Lapidus?
    • Posted

Hello Mary, I had a right foot first metatarsal akin osteotomy with internal fixation( that's what the paperwork calls it!) Post op my surgeon did say to me it could take upto a year to fully recover so don,t worry too much Mary as some people recover quicker than others. I guess I was lucky.xx
    • Posted

I should not be this stiff doctor said I need to get scar tissue removal, being I cant flex my foot, and its not guaranteed, sad I need lots of prayer,
  • Posted

Hi Laila, l had a bunion operation on my right foot in July and at the time I can honestly say it was the most painful thing I have experienced in my life and I have had 2 children!! 4 months down the line and I am back in heels 😀😀😀 I am bunion free and very happy. I was up and down through my recovery..... This site was a godsend ... It kept me sane. I had physio on my foot to get the mobility back in my toe and religiously did excercises at home, this definitely helped so I,m sure MUA should help. Everyone's recovery is different but you will get there in the end. Good luck. Hope you get pain free bunion free lovely feet real soon.xx
  • Posted

lela007

Thank you for your excellent description of your experience and observations. I think you should preface "if a reader has urinary incontinence and they are not wearing a pad, please prep your panties before reading". You had me laughing hysterically. Thank you for the highlight of my day. I had my cast removed today, however your letter was definitely the hightlight of my day!

-Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.