Manipulation Under Anaesthetic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I am a newbie to this group. I have had FS for just under a year and had MUA a few days ago.  I am thinking of not using my sling anymore but wanted to know how quickly everyone recovered, went back to work and how much PT they had. Also any gym goers and when did you go back? Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Rachel,

You should absolutely follow your Dr.’s orders, but I will tell you that my Dr. had me get rid of the sling as soon as I could feel my arm again.  I even went to physical therapy the same day I had the MUA done, to keep the range of motion going.  The Dr. said the sling was only so I wouldn’t hurt my arm because they did a nerve block for the MUA that lasted about 20 hours.  You are sore, I am sure, but do your exercises and stick with it.  Your range of motion will improve greatly over the next few weeks.  Give it time.  You most likely lost some muscle and will be weak and will need to strength build as you get your arm moving further in every direction.  Best of luck to you!

Barb

• Posted

Oops, I didn’t fully answer your questions...

I went to PT every other day for 3 weeks, then dropped down to PT twice a week for 2weeks, combined with daily exercises at home (stretching and wall slides, etc.).  Was fully back around 2 months after MUA, but can say I will be stretching every morning and night now... can see how it really helps the range of motion.  

• Posted

Thanks Barb so much it’s good to be in contact with others that have FS and hear their experiences x
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

I had capsular release and  MUA 5 weeks ago, I too had the nerve block which lasted around 30 for me, I was told to keep the sling on until I had a PT appoint which unfortunately took around 10 days just because of the referel system. I did feel that this was excessive so I did take the sling off at home, I was a little worried not to do as I had been told as I didn’t want to do anything to hamper my recovery as it has been over a year since the FS started, I do many excercises and stretches at home, I have my own pulley which really helps, I can function now and the ROM is really improving.

I was going to Crossfit 4 times a week prior to this injury which I know would be silly to try just yet, the PT is aware of that and he has said it’s fine for me to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill, do sit-ups on a large ball with my arms crossed against my chest and go on the recumbent bike so not to use my arms, my arm is very weak but he has said eventually I can start to strength and condition it which will be great, he has said to just be patient and sensible with the gym side of things, hope this helps. I would certainly have the discussion with your PT and follow his or her advise.

Good luck with your recovery!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.