Manipulation under anesthesia

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was in a car accident and shattered my patella . Had patella surgery July 25th started PT a couple of weeks ago tons of tightness and can only Bend to 50 degrees . My question is has anybody had MUA and was it a success. I don't want to be in pain after and PT is also so painful

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi i had mua after having a full knee replactment and still cant bend my knee only can get it to 10

• Posted

I had a MUA about 4 weeks after my TKR. It was highly recommended by my surgeon although my PT was surprised it was recommended so soon.

For me....nothing positive came of it. It may have set me back a week and I did tell my surgeon that. I was required to go to PT the same day as the procedure and 3 additional times that same week. After that, I still confined with my usual PT twice a week and exercises at home. And yes, I had pain after the MUA.

Other people here have had success with a MUA, but I was not one of them.

I recovered pretty well from my surgery in about 6 to 8 weeks. I still have some difficulty going down stairs, but overall I am pain free and no regrets about the surgery. It was a very hard recovery....but worth it in my case. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

crazy how everybody has a different reaction to it. I'm just so sick of it being so tight and stiff I can't bend it at all without pain. I just want to be pain-free and back to normal again. Thanks for your comment

• Posted

I had MUA and scar tissue removal 8 weeks after my PkR and it was the beat thing I did. My ROM after initial surgery was 50 . I was past 100 after MUA.

• Posted

WOW that's encouraging. Im so glad u had a good experiance. I wonder if a pkr is the same as patella surgery. Its probably familer enough. so u didnt have any pain after the mua? Also did u have pain doing PT after? Cause im so tight right now pt is so painful

• Posted

I did not have pin after the MUA. Pt was less painful after the MUA. It was very much needed in my case.

• Posted

Yes, I have, but it was for scar tissue following a knee replacement... it was fine. you are knocked out. Im not sure why the docs would do one on you, for a patella issue.

Good luck, however.

• Posted

I think because since my surgery I can only Bend at a 50 degree . and I also have a lot of scar tissue my skin is like concrete over my patella scar

• Posted

Sorry for what you are going through.

I had MUA with scar tissue removal as well (Manipulation done and then scar tissue removed) and hardware removal on 7/26. Found it extremely painful and did get a tremendous amount of swelling. My progress did go backwards but seems that it is finally going in a positive direction. This surgery was at the 6 month point and I learned after very necessary. I'm hoping for the best. Sorry for what you are going through. It's not easy. Someone told me through this page about a support group called Patella Fracture Support Group. You may want to check it out.

• Posted

Hello Alana,

I had my knee replacement in August 2016 and after doing my excersizes rigidly and more, I went in three months after for MUA as I wasnt getting the bend that I wanted. Just a bit sore after, but didnt really get the bend any better than 110-120 even after that.

So I think that whilst the healing process is occurring, thats when you will find out what your bend is going to be . I did everything I could, even lying on my stomach and getting my husband to bend my knee back until I cried in pain, 2- 3 times a day, that still didnt bend to what I would have wanted.

I think that after a while you have to accept that this is your lot. I am still experiencing, at times, swelling and also heat radiating from my knee even after this long. Its a long road and different for each person, so good luck but dont expect miracules.

Best wishes

• Posted

OK I feel I have to be honest with you here.

I had manipulation of knee under anaesthetic after an operation on my patella.

It was successful but extremely painful on waking up.

Of course you don't want to be in pain after but my experience is that you will be.

However I hope it is successful as mine was.

Wishing you all the best.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.