Manufacturer change of citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Can anyone advise if they had any side effects when issued citalopram with a different manufacturer.

Mine were changed two days ago and I have nausea upset stomach and hand shakes. Really not feeling well this is my 5th week of 20mg and two days in with a different brand.

Any info greatly appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I had the same post up back when I started citalopram currently 10 months on 20mg! It is all citalopram just a different box the anxiety tricks you to thinking it's the medication change but to be honest 5 weeks in it could well just be side effects and your body adjusting totally normal to feel like this each brand must have the same ingredients as it says 20mg of citalopram! Do you take it in a full stomach or with food? Good luck the road to recovery can be long but the guys and girls on here are great support! But it's worth it xx

Emz xx

• Posted

Hi Emz

Thanks for getting back to me. I usually have a banana then take cit. I haven't got much of an apetite still but usually manage 1000 calories daily. Seems such a long road but it seems many people have walked the path and arrived at recovery. Thanks so much for your post.

L x

• Posted

No problem Lorraine yes Hun so am my have been there and it's so good to hear all the recovery stories here! Ups and downs are apart of life take them as they come love each step is a big leap for you! Your doing amazing getting some food into you little and often! Good luck xx
  • Posted

HI Lorraine,

Personally I've never had any side effect when changing manufacturer. Mine seem to be different everytime I get them from the Pharmacist. Although I know someone who said it did effect them and could only take a particulary brand. I think you can get your gp to prescribe a specific brand for you. I think of different brands of citalopram in terms of brands of chocolate. If you look at the ingredients on a bar of chocolate they are all probably are identical, all factory made under very stricty conditions and quality procedures, but as you know, different chocolates can taste very different. So I'd guess the same goes for "identical" drugs.

• Posted

You are truly amazing and heaven sent. to take the time to help others. I hope as I get better I can be as kind and compassionate as you.

Thank you so much

Lorraine

• Posted

It could just be side effects adjusting to the new dose, but I did find a difference with some manufacturers. I think I was sensitive to small changes as I found it difficult withdrawing from them even very slowly. Previously when I was on a stable dose I found the citalopram from one manufacturer in particular made me feel bad. I was often given tablets from different manufacturers and usually didn't notice, but with one the difference was so noticable I started asking the pharmacist to not give me that one when I collected the prescription. The manufacturer name was one starting with an 'A' but I can't remember the exact one.

The active drug is will be the same, but the fillers and additives could change the rate it is absorbed into the body or possibly cause a negative reaction. The citalopram I took were always white coloured, but I have seen other tablets with artificial colourings that have a warning they may cause allergic reactions which seems crazy. I suppose it is important to colour them to distinguish between different drugs, but could be done with safer colourings.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you so much for your response. Thankfully my pharmacist changed them for me. Can I ask you how long it took you to feel a bit better. I'm 12 weeks in and for the last three days on 30mg. My energy and apetite are non existent and feel so fed up with not being a proper mum or a fun nanny! I'm 55 and wonder if it takes longer because of my age.

Any advice would be great

Warmest wishes

Lorraine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.