Manuka Honey 10+

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi there, I have suffered from 2 bouts of Pneumonia in 2 and a half years and I'm now on my 3rd chest infection and have just heard of Manuka Honey. The doctor put me on Amoxicillin 500mg  3 times a day which didn't work, and has now prescribed me Doxycycline 100mg once a day. I suffer bad with chest infections and I'm hoping this Honey works. I will let you know in due course. Does anyone know if this will prevent chest infections? I'll try anything at this stage. I also have had the pneumonia injection and as I'm asthmatic I have the flu one too. I am 54... and would like to live another 30 years or so! cheesygrin

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All, re Manuka honey , I have regularly  given it to my family at the first sign of any throat problem and found it very good, the higher the number +?the better. I have never used it regularly as a preventative for my husband who has bronchiectasi but will certainly give it a try.

just a word of advice re the taking of it, I was told by a Chinese doctor NOT to add it to any hot drink as it then becomes just sugar.

• Posted

thanks for the info re hot drinks..I was intending to have it in herbal tea..but put it in my yoghurt instead..

• Posted

Hi All

I was just going to mention that taking it in hot water isn't any good, but someone else posted the same thing. I use it for sore throats and at the first sign of a cold.  Holland and Barrett shop told me about the hot water thing, so I just let it melt in my mouth for as long as possible and it always does the trick.

• Posted

Hi... I never knew it didn't work hot! But it is brilliant for chest infections or anything to do with the chest. It is an antiseptic..so I take a teaspoon full every morning now. I just buy the +10. Hope it works well for you. X
    • Posted

Hi Angelwing, it works just fine. It does work to some extent in hot water, or in a warm drink, but not so good as taking it raw.

When my dog was a puppy (see avatar) he clawed the back of my hand with his sharp little claw. I have extremely thin skin (not at all suitable fo stitches) and I put the Manuka +15 on a large plaster and pressed it hard on to the wound and left it there for a couple of days. (I'd read somewhere that it was good for small wounds) Anyway when I took it off, it was completely healed. it left a scar, but my GP was astounded when I told him what I had done and how well it had healed.  So that's my solution if I get any small wounds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.