Many symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

First I started gastritis then acid reflux GERD now I did a colonoscopy and I have mild diverticulosis. Yesterday I did CAT scan to find out why my right side hurts. Had to drink lots of water afterwards.l woke up with still heartburn today little bit of acid reflux . Been taking Protonix and I stop because the cat scan. It seems like I've been getting worse. I see the doctor today and I need some kind of good advice for what medication to take and tell him. Please reply!!!!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi PPIs can cause a lot f side  effects and are not intended to be prescribed for more than a few weeks at a time due to their potential side effects. That is what my drs told me . Just wondering if you had researched this drug in readiness for your appointment tomorrow. Personally I research all drugs now and then present the findings, usually a print out to the dr. Then ask for advice. If at all worried then you do have the right to discuss your concerns with the doctor . I am unsure if the dr can prescribe an alternative this is something the dr uses his judgment on.
    • Posted

I know of people taking long term steroids who also need to take PPIs due to steroid side effects and have been on them for years. I agree they are not something you want to take. 
    • Posted

PPIs are USUALLY not prescribed for more than a few weeks. I too know of people on them for years like myself and they cause nutritional deficiencies such as osteopenia, osteoporosis, low B12 .
    • Posted

I think half the trouble is that a lot of doctors are not that conversant with a lot of drugs. It is the same problem with anti depressants and also opioids and painkillers.
    • Posted

In UK a dr is obliged to be 'conversant' with any drug they prescribe. This is a requirement to remain registered with the General Medical Council, please see GMC website. x

• Posted

I worked for the drug industry for thirty years and I can assure you that if you checked with a lot of doctors their knowledge of some drugs is not that impressive. It really depends how you translate the word conversant! My GP actually admitted she did not know much about steroids, also she said she did not really understand them.
    • Posted

drs should be conversant with drugs they prescribe. What about cred. meds etc. 
    • Posted

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately as I said we have a major problem in U.K. with anti depressants as doctors hand them out willy nilly, not to mention opioids. I know a friend who has been on Alendronic Acid for thirteen years. I have been offered drugs that are contra indicated, sadly we have a huge drugs bill in U.K., due to overprescribing as some doctors are not that conversant with the drugs and their side effects. Where I live the pharmacist actually checks prescriptions every so often to try and sort out the mess. 
  • Posted

Well went to the Dr. (primary that is). It was not my doctor but another one. She said it would take 6 weeks to stay on it. She mentioned I should speak to my gastrologist doctor after those weeks. This is what"s going on Aug 31"St had been in ER for a pain chest on left side and put in hospital. Did a heart test ,nothing. Did a CAT scan found out I have andblood clot in the lung. Now taking Eliquis. Don't know if the Protonix caused it. Please reply!!!

• Posted

No He said that it doesn't come from the pill He did offer Zantac generic or pipcid. IThen he ask if I was depressed. I said yes to see what he would do and he offered me a depression prescriptio to gain weight and to sleep at night. I haven't taken the depression but I did stop on Protonic. Now sleeping better but I ended up getting acid reflux for a little while. I am taking this acid relief 360 that I ordered through online. I have felt tired and sluggish. But the pills are starting to work. I have to order more and I'm eating fiber. The doctor said I have to eat fiber because of mine diverticulosis. This from my gastrologist doctor. when I sell my primary doctor I asked you about dexilant and I believe she ordered it for me. I know whether I should take it please reply!!!!

• Posted

Hi The PPIs are only meant to be prescribed for a few weeks because of their serious side effects. How are u now on the antacid? I would stick to a bland diet, small meals, don't eat for 3 to 4 hours prior going to bed. Sleep with several pillows propping you up. Avoid acidic foodstuffs and drinks. Avoid alcohol and smoking.  I have just read that PPIs can also trigger off or cause Lupus an auto immune disease. Personally I would not take this drug or any other PPI. x It is too risky but that is my take on what I have researched. If others disagree with that is written on the patient information leaflet that's fine. I would avoid any supplements. U do not know the effects of these these. My 2 cents worth.

• Posted

Hi! Most gut issues are caused by bodily imbalance. Unfortunately, synthetic medicines target specific symptoms but can also cause imbalance in other areas/organs of the body. Have you tried complementary medicine/food supplements? I have gut issues myself but I have been taking this pair food supplement that really helps me. It works since it detoxifies and balances the body. Would you like to give it a try?
    • Posted

Medication such as the benzos interferes with the functioning of the gaba receptors in the brain and body. There are over three trillion of these and when one is taking such drugs it is important to avoid supplements. See ashton manual. You are not allowed to encourage supplements on other forums. Are u  a trader pushing supplements?
    • Posted

Personally I avoid supplements unless recommended by my doctor. There are too many snake oil salesmen around building up their bank balances.
    • Posted

I am not selling. It was merely a suggestion. It will be up to the asker to do their own research on the subject. I have had a lot of gut issues myself and it works for me. I was merely pointing out what worked for me.

• Posted

Thank you for your honest opinion. I am merely suggesting something that helped me. I have a lot of gut issues myself and the Ganoderma has helped me immensely. I have been taking it since I was 15. I understand there a lot of scammers out there but don't generalize. There are a lot of good supplements out there as well that help assist the body other that can complement synthetic medicine. If you are not a fan of herbal/food supplements then that is your choice but don't judge those who do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.