MAP Group session at ARC

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well, after being badgered by the doctor every time I saw him at the ARC, I finally relented to attend one group session, in return for sorting my prescription out - which it has yet and I will take great pleasure in letting him know that one kept their end of the bargain and one didn't.

So, I went this morning, one and a half hours. The group wasn't as bad a mix as I had feared or been warned. Obviously you have to allow for the fact that people are attending for a reason that may affect their lives somewhat.

I'll give you the short version. The was eight of us including me, plus the guy taking it, who was and ex-recovery person of the ARC - peer grouping they refer to it as.

There was probably four of us that spoke and the other half pretty much didn't say a thing, which is okay, because not every one is comfortable with it. Somebody had also had a stroke and been to the same rehab hospital, it was nice to actually have met someone for the first time, that has also been through it, although it was nothing to do with alcohol.

Interestingly, two of three had been on a residential detox, with a follow up residential rehabilitation and there was a third going on it in a couple of weeks. I know I asked about this when I first went to the other branch and was told no way, too expensive and I don't qualify. The fact that I'd been in hospital and I said surrounding factors influence me, like a good country pub 30 yards from my driveway, that it would be better if I was taken out of my normal routine and environment, counted for nothing.

I think a lot of these people become institutionalised. They're almost taught that they have to forget every thing and follow a new way, and the number of people who introduced themselves as 'XXXX' an alcoholic, abstinent for 'x' months or years. I felt like saying, if you're not drinking alcohol, you no longer meet the definition of an alcoholic.

I just introduced myself and said, like others, I have had an issue with alcohol. If someone had tried to say I'm an alcoholic, I would have just said that I reject any tags to describe myself that fit in with the current meme and that I view myself as a person and defining myself as an alcoholic, almost condemns me to failure from the start.

Althougth the guy running the course was careful not to knock the AA, he was quite clear that it hadn't worked for him and that it might work for a limited audience.

Back to the institutionalised, I believe some were there as part of their probation and I think a high percentage were not working and in receipt of benefits. I say this because a number said they attended every week, and quite a number were staying for the afternoon meeting of mindfulness. I thought, don't you have things to do?

They seemed to have swapped dependency on alcohol, to dependecy on groupthink. I felt that this way of life had now become a normality and that if these meetings were taken away from them, they would immediately return to alcohol. They somehow had lost their independence, they seemed happy to be stuck in this loop, with no defined plan, on how to get better, move on and go back to normailty.

Someone was on Antabuse, and my blood started to boil. He had been on it for a course of a few months and wanted to extend it. He had already managed to drink on it and make himself ill. He complained that they were hesitant to represcribe it and that what was wrong if it was stopping him drinking. I had to speak up and say because you are doing substitution dependence. I had a prescription in my bag of Campral, how I wanted to take it out, hand it to him and say, try that.

I then went on to talk about why people were having problems, shaky hands etc - central nervous system fecked. Why people were struggling with willpower, because your neural pathways have changed etc. I could go on and er... I did. I said there is medication to help you, I use it and it works for me.

They seem to feed off each other, happy to talk about the same old things, patting everyone on the head for a month off the beer. I felt like saying, how many people move on from this, how many get their life back together and go back to normal.

I felt like saying. Who's got a plan, a detox, followed by medication and a system to keep you way from temptation. Surely coming here every week is just reminding you of what's wrong, not how you're going to fix it. Have you set goals, time frames, ability to measure progress and what plan if it doesn't happen. How will you measure success, have yout got a finsih marker that when you get there you can move on.

That's about as condensed an hour and a half as I can.

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Though I would like to add that you are a valued member on this site that gives many, including myself, much needed advice and support. So thank you and hope you don't hold my comments against me 😀
  • Posted

I'm waiting for my appointment for "counselling"

Not sure if it's group or one to one but presume it will be one to one as its part of me taking Nalmefene

• Posted

One to one. Although expect to be given a sales pitch about group sessions. If you are offered, you must attend and give us your view. As people think I am being a little harsh.
    • Posted

No. You say what you think. You're clearly very savvy and unimpressed with many of the 'services' offered to addicts. I feel the same way.

Yes, of course we are a group, albeit an online group, but we don't sit all day with our laptops or whatever open, checking and re-checking what everyone is saying. We can log off when we want to. Shame we don't get a cuppa tea and a biscuit, though. Perhaps we can start having virtual cups of tea?

• Posted

For one meeting, I'd like to take charge.

I'd ask them how long they'd been coming. What was their plan when they came. Have they achieved it - if so, why still here, if not, have you studied why not and have a plan to move forward.

Now, some on here will be itching to jump in and say, but RH, that's okay for you, you have confidence, blah blah, we're not all like you. That's where you're missing the point, I don't expect the people attending to be the same as the person leading the group.

It is their job to motivate people, show them that they need a plan, help them put one together. Help them to move on and leave the group. Success should be measured by how many, how quickly go back to leading independent lives and the relapse rate of them.

Anyone who thinks I like belittling people or pushing them out of their comfort zone, has me very wrong. Plans aren't corporate BS, we all use them all the time. When people go shopping, they write a list, otherwise they forget items - that is a plan - a plan of their shopping. If they don't write a plan, you can be sure they will fail to bring everything back.

In fairness, the guy running it was just somebody who had been previously a guest of the centre. But I remember him saying at one time, yes that is a point that we have discussed several times before, I'll put that down for discussion. And I'm thinking, you're still going over the same ground, why have you not dealt with that.

I maybe a miserable old git, but these people are in charge of helping you get off alcohol. A&E won't, your GP won't, which leaves you with these people who are paid by the NHS and the government to deal with it.

I'd like a line of names in response. To put your name down, all you have to do, is say, I attended that ARC or the AA and I found it very good and I have stopped drinking or I drink like a normal person, completely controlled.

The lack of names, will be testament to whether these places are failing people or not. I only want regulars or people who have a recent post, I don't want a lot of new people joining and saying, it worked for me.

I'll leave you with one last thought. I said I felt that people with alcohol get a rough deal, but class A drugs etc, were given a lot of support. The reason for that is, a lot of money is thrown at it. Because funding of drugs is by crime, mugging, robbery etc. So they throw money at it to take it off the street.

Because people with a drink problem don't cause much of a street nuisance, we're left to sort it out ourselves. So, the answer is, next time you want a bottle of wine or vodka, go rob some old granny and stick her in hospital. That'll get their attention.

• Posted

You're quite right and the lack of names on your hypothetical list would, no doubt, cause shrieks of alarm in Westminster.

No, actually they wouldn't care because it's all the alcoholic's own fault  and they should be properly grateful that they get any "help" services at all.

It makes me want to spit. Nothing, nothing, nothing of any use is offered to the fools who become addicted to alcohol, because it's their own fault.

Huh.

• Posted

In your response to my post you said that you were NOT knocking the people but the program.  This is what I quote from your original post (judging people maintaining sobriety).  Especially when you say they pat each other on the back  for a month without beer.  To some a month without beer is HUGE.

"They seem to feed off each other, happy to talk about the same old things, patting everyone on the head for a month off the beer. I felt like saying, how many people move on from this, how many get their life back together and go back to normal."

I felt like saying. Who's got a plan, a detox, followed by medication and a system to keep you way from temptation."

​To me it seems like they do have a plan...to have human contact in meetings.....You can't know what medication they are on....some may be on Campral....or Selincro...

​Also I heard on radio yesterday that studies show that people that attend programs, group meetings and religious services...live longer than people that don't.

• Posted

I was originally offered group therapy when I started all this and I said afternoons would be best for me but they told me they usually do them in the morning because they have trouble getting people in in the afternoon because they are have usually started drinking by then.

They have great success then I thought.

• Posted

It is this attitude that frustrates me. We'll get them in the morning, because they'll be p*ssed by lunchtime. What good is that, how much are they going to remember. Most likely a lot of them are on probabtion and are required to attend.

If you have a mixture of people, that don't want to be there and people who are serious about helping themselves, then do two groups. Get one group and put them in a room with a few copies of Knave, Fiesta and Autosport, plus a couple of copies of Hello magazine for the 'ladies' and let them get on with it.

Meanwhile, have another group where they can really help and target people as individuals who all need help in different ways and to drop the one size fits all.

Before anyone starts giving me a hard time, parts of the above post were a bit tongue in cheek.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.