Maralgia Paresthetica cure found

Posted , 4 users are following.

After suffering for over 4 years now I went to a private Hospital Doctor and was told that a simple injection would cure my problem and I have been referred on to a Rheuatologist . all this after 4 years and being told by various other Doctors that nothing could be done just take pain killers. crazy nearly lost my job and all now after being off sick for several months looking forward to returning to work .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, don't know if you will get this message as it's over a year since you posted it. I was diagnosed with M.P. about four years ago.I was sent by g.p. to pain clinic at hospital, with nunbness on outer left thigh, over a large area, also what I can only describe, as feeling like I was being stabbed by an icicle- if that makes sence.Pain clinic consultant didn't know what it was, and because I also had tingling and burning in both lower legs and feet, and had had spinal surgery (laminectomy, and a year later, a spinal fusion) saent me to a spinal neurologist in Leeds, who didn't know either, and refferred me to a spinal orthopoedic surgeon, who didn't know either, He thought it might be an unusual symptom of M.S.,and referred me to a neurologist, who immediately diagnosed M.P. By this stage had spent most of year with pain getting worse, had by then also affected right thigh, when walking or standing, and numbness in left thigh was permanent, also dreadful stabbing pains, in thighs, and dragging sensations in both groins. Neurologist told me it was caused by,inguinal nerve trapped in ligament, as it travelled through groin. He also told me it was a sensory nerve only, and would not affect my ability to walk.That is apart from the pain aspect. He also told me that there was surgery, which could dissect the ligament, to untrap the nerve, though it wasn't always succesful, and could cause problems with hernias. The only thing he could suggest was going back to pain clinic, and having more injections. I had spent the previous years having spinal injections, on and off, to no avail, and did not feel I could go down that route again! Have gradually got worse, standing and walking is almost impossible.Life with this condition is unbearable.Did you have the injections, and if so did they help? Am thinking of asking for surgical option, but afraid it may make me worse. I wish I knew someone else with this condition, unless you've experienced it you couldn't imagine how much it changes your life could you? Have tried usual medications-- gabapentin,pregabalin etc. nothing else to try.Is there anyone out there? who has found anything at all that helps at all? Anyone who has has surgery for it, and did it work. I would be grateful for any input, t.i.a. sad
  • Posted

[quote:d5c41e92db=\"candy333\"]Hello, don't know if you will get this message as it's over a year since you posted it. I was diagnosed with M.P. about four years ago.I was sent by g.p. to pain clinic at hospital, with nunbness on outer left thigh, over a large area, also what I can only describe, as feeling like I was being stabbed by an icicle- if that makes sence.Pain clinic consultant didn't know what it was, and because I also had tingling and burning in both lower legs and feet, and had had spinal surgery (laminectomy, and a year later, a spinal fusion) saent me to a spinal neurologist in Leeds, who didn't know either, and refferred me to a spinal orthopoedic surgeon, who didn't know either, He thought it might be an unusual symptom of M.S.,and referred me to a neurologist, who immediately diagnosed M.P. By this stage had spent most of year with pain getting worse, had by then also affected right thigh, when walking or standing, and numbness in left thigh was permanent, also dreadful stabbing pains, in thighs, and dragging sensations in both groins. Neurologist told me it was caused by,inguinal nerve trapped in ligament, as it travelled through groin. He also told me it was a sensory nerve only, and would not affect my ability to walk.That is apart from the pain aspect. He also told me that there was surgery, which could dissect the ligament, to untrap the nerve, though it wasn't always succesful, and could cause problems with hernias. The only thing he could suggest was going back to pain clinic, and having more injections. I had spent the previous years having spinal injections, on and off, to no avail, and did not feel I could go down that route again! Have gradually got worse, standing and walking is almost impossible.Life with this condition is unbearable.Did you have the injections, and if so did they help? Am thinking of asking for surgical option, but afraid it may make me worse. I wish I knew someone else with this condition, unless you've experienced it you couldn't imagine how much it changes your life could you? Have tried usual medications-- gabapentin,pregabalin etc. nothing else to try.Is there anyone out there? who has found anything at all that helps at all? Anyone who has has surgery for it, and did it work. I would be grateful for any input, t.i.a. sad[/quote:d5c41e92db]So near yet so far.This is how Ican describe yr indecision. Friend you have MP and first option is anasthesia combined with methylprednisone inj at the place where yr lateral cutaneous nerve is compresse.This is in between yr superior illiac spine and inguinal ligament as shown in the attached image.
  • Posted

[quote:8bcc204b95=\"ramesh\"][quote:8bcc204b95=\"candy333\"]Hello, don't know if you will get this message as it's over a year since you posted it. I was diagnosed with M.P. about four years ago.I was sent by g.p. to pain clinic at hospital, with nunbness on outer left thigh, over a large area, also what I can only describe, as feeling like I was being stabbed by an icicle- if that makes sence.Pain clinic consultant didn't know what it was, and because I also had tingling and burning in both lower legs and feet, and had had spinal surgery (laminectomy, and a year later, a spinal fusion) saent me to a spinal neurologist in Leeds, who didn't know either, and refferred me to a spinal orthopoedic surgeon, who didn't know either, He thought it might be an unusual symptom of M.S.,and referred me to a neurologist, who immediately diagnosed M.P. By this stage had spent most of year with pain getting worse, had by then also affected right thigh, when walking or standing, and numbness in left thigh was permanent, also dreadful stabbing pains, in thighs, and dragging sensations in both groins. Neurologist told me it was caused by,inguinal nerve trapped in ligament, as it travelled through groin. He also told me it was a sensory nerve only, and would not affect my ability to walk.That is apart from the pain aspect. He also told me that there was surgery, which could dissect the ligament, to untrap the nerve, though it wasn't always succesful, and could cause problems with hernias. The only thing he could suggest was going back to pain clinic, and having more injections. I had spent the previous years having spinal injections, on and off, to no avail, and did not feel I could go down that route again! Have gradually got worse, standing and walking is almost impossible.Life with this condition is unbearable.Did you have the injections, and if so did they help? Am thinking of asking for surgical option, but afraid it may make me worse. I wish I knew someone else with this condition, unless you've experienced it you couldn't imagine how much it changes your life could you? Have tried usual medications-- gabapentin,pregabalin etc. nothing else to try.Is there anyone out there? who has found anything at all that helps at all? Anyone who has has surgery for it, and did it work. I would be grateful for any input, t.i.a. sad[/quote:8bcc204b95]So near yet so far.This is how Ican describe yr indecision. Friend you have MP and first option is anasthesia combined with methylprednisone inj at the place where yr lateral cutaneous nerve is compresse.This is in between yr superior illiac spine and inguinal ligament as shown in the attached image.[/quote:8bcc204b95]IF YOU GET IMMEDIATE WITHDRAWL OF ALL YR SYMPTOMS AFTER AN STEROID INJ AT THE SITE YR DIAGNOSIS IS CONFIRMED.FOLLOW UP WITH ANY INTERVENTIONAL PAIN MANAGEMENT EXPERT.
  • Posted

hello ramesh, thanks for your reply. Since I posted on this site, I have been back to pain clinic and been prescribed ligocaine patches, which doesn't help with the numbness, but has some effect on the awful stabbing pains. The next solution is an injection next to the nerve, which the dr. says will make the nerve feel a buzzing sensation, a bit like a tens machine does, and hopefully stop the brain recieving pain sensations, also at the same time he will put in some steroid to calm down inflamation. Is this what you had done? I have read your other posting on this site, and am trying to get a more positive attitude, though after four years, I fear that it's with me for life now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.