Margaret.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am experiencing a strange phenomenom which is that my speech has become a little slurred without a drink of alcohol! Has anyone with Cervical Spondylosis experienced anything similar. Pain in hands and arms too.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I've had episodes of slurred speech and ended up in the emergency RM for fear of a stroke in my early 40's. They did a cat scan and blood tests, nothing showed thank god but the Dr on call did say I had a very bad neck and should see a surgeon.

He never got into details and my primary never brought it up, nor did the chiropractor or physiatrists I was seeing at the time for severe whiplash in 1997. So they kept doing chiro treatments and pt.

Here we are 10 years later I am diagnosed with congenital stenosis which had all along been causing myelopathy with symptoms waxing and waning but was told it was fibromyalgia all these years.

I had pain in neck, arm hips, low back, legs, with weakness in all extremities, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, body aches, numbness, buzzing , vibrations in legs and arms, and dexterity and gait balance issues to name a few.

Finally my symptoms were constant and severe enough that a Dr sent me for MRIs and immediately to the surgeon. 2 weeks later in Aug 2015 at age of 51 I had cervical fusion at c5-6 because of severe cord compression and the dr was surprised I was even able to walk with that amount of compression.

Then a year later symptoms got worse and in sept of 2016 I had to have another surgery , a cervical posterior laminectomy with fusion at

C3-6. 11 months post op now and its slow going but most of my symptoms are permanent because of how long I had the compression and symptoms.

Have you had an MRI? If not I would to check for cord compression. I hope not for your sake..it really sucks. Be persistent and proactive, don't wait too long. Praying for you

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for your response for which I am most grateful.  I have Spondylosis which might well explain a lot of my symptoms and find it hard to sleep at night.  I have started to get a lot of pain in my hands too and weakness.  not feeling so hot at the moment.  I had an MRI on my brain but they were looking for signs of a stroke or a TIA as you rightly pointed out.  I know that I have complression of my cord so I will do as you say and pressure for an MRI.  I have a docs appointment tomorrow so will be doing some pushing and won't take no for an answer.   I an sorry you have suffered so much, it;'s really hard to get anywhere these days without the pushy attitude which it seems you must aquire.  I hope you improve.  thinking of you// Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret

Yes I have had that problem and it has not fully resolved with ACDF surgery - though the bladder urge to wee all the time has, thankfully. I have noticed some improvement though my chin still tingles and pain has not completely gone in arms and hands. Its only 3 weeks and having had some progress i remain hopeful that I will continue to improve - thats what the dr suggests will happen too.

Take care

Chris

ps i was diagnosed at AnE by a neurologist as having migraine and it was my physio at another hospital who got me into the back clinic and properly assessed. Left to the first dr I would still be having the longest 24*7 continuous migraine - with no headache - ever known - at least to me 10 months non stop - so I am grateful for the relief surgery has given me. It is well recognised that this surgery comes too late for too many people

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.