Marijuana and PHN

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had shingles of the eye a year ago.  My ophthalmologist really saved my eyesight - he caught it early (after 2 days).  I have PHN of top of head, left forehead.  I'm on 1800mgs. gabapentin, lidocaine(4% OTC).  Have been on the other drugs mentioned here, Nortryptolene(this helped the most), cymbals(did nothing), etc. but don't really need them now.  Can't wear a hat, wind on my head hurts, forget touching the top of head or forehead.  As long as I don't do any of the former, I'm ok.  After reading all the discussions here, I think I'm very lucky.  I want to try marijuana but don't know where to start.  I'm in PA. and there are not places yet to get it.  I'm going to Las Vegas soon.  Questions:  What to buy, how much, what type, smoke it or eat it?, how often to take?  Should I also buy an oil?  Can you tell I know nothing about marijuana?  Would appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marcia,I have met a fair number of people who have used it for pain. 

I have PHN in the same area, right side. 27 years now. It’s helpful to know that the pain decreases with time, but for most people that is over years, not weeks or months. My worst symptom is itching, but I also have pain and numbness. Aspercreme has been the best remedy for me, along with not scratching or rubbing the area. Lidocaine gel helps also. 

I live in Oregon where pot is legal, but I’ve not really tried it. I do have friends who have used it for pain. If you ask around in Vegas for what shop is largest or most respected that might be a place to start. Usually the people who work there are pretty knowledgeable and have had other customers using it for pain. I’ve heard some folks get good results from a cream so you might try that. You will not get high with the cream. It should cost about $40–$50 for a small jar I am told. A physician I used to work with told patients that if they’re going to try pot for pain they should not smoke it but use edibles, due to the lung damage that comes from the heat of smoking it. 

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I have discovered that mild dehydration causes extreme itching exacerbations. So when those start to occur I quickly drink a glass of water, and it goes away in about 30 minutes. Don’t know if that will help you but it is worth a try.  It has worked for some folks on this site.  I really have benefitted over the years from using topical creams/gels rather than oral meds, too. 

• Posted

Thanks Charlie.  I would like to get off gabapentin or at least reduce the amount.  I join you in the dehydration and itching but I do forget to drink water.  I'll be more vigilant.  I am beginning to think I will always have this so would like to manage it better.  I appreciate your input.

• Posted

Marcia,

Please let me know if staying hydrated helps with the itching. I'm just curious...if it helps a lot of us, it might be useful for all of us. 

• Posted

I think staying hydrated helps with everything; I just forget to do it.  Will keep in touch.  Its hard to know tho since I only itch if I touch y head and I try not to do that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.