Marsupialisation one year ago, still have a hole and now experiencing pain. Any advise?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry if this is a bit TMI, but I really need help sad

Last year in August I had my 9th BC removed by marsupialisation - the cyst was very deep in the gland which meant I had a larger than normal cut and it left a horrible hole (unlike my previous small incisions). 

It's now a year on and the hole is still there, I feel really concious and depressed of the fact that I have what looks like a second vaginal hole (proably the size of a pencil end). If that's not bad enough I've been having niggling and pressure pains for the last 6 months and some discharge from the hole (seemed to be normal discharge and nothing unusual) but no new BC have flared up.

Yesterday I was feeling pretty sore down there and thought I'd take a look and the area looks slightly red and swollen as if I have a BC coming. I don't understand how another BC can form if I still have a hole there for what I thought was draining the gland?

The next avaible GP appointment is 2 weeks away and I'm terrified that I'm geting another BC. I don't even know what I'll do if I end up having another marsupialisation and getting a third hole down there.

I really hope someone can give me some help and advice!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Can I ask why you have not had the gland removed? 

My doctor drained mine twice, skipped the marsupialisation and removed the gland. It was a tough 6 weeks of recovery and I rarley get a twinge of pain where the incision was but worth it. 

I really cant give advice on what could happen in the next two weeks before your appointment. I am just sorry that you are going through this. That is a lot of cutting and pain and recovery. Is there maybe a different doctor who can see you sooner? 

• Posted

I have begged for the gland to be removed but the 3 different consultants I saw in the last 2 years said that it's not something they would do. I'm not sure if it's because I'm young (I'm 25) or if it's too complex for them but I'm at a loss. The last surgeon how removed my cyst said in the theatre room moments before the operation that I should have it removed but it's not something he can do as an emergency procedure as I went through A&E. 

Did your GP arrange for the gland to be removed or was it a consultant? I might have to try a different hospital.

• Posted

My gynecologist suggested it be removed. I spoke with his scheduler and had it removed 3 weeks later. I would try to find a doctor who will help you and remove the cyst if There Is one and the gland. I'm sure you have been through more than enough pain and need to be did of it once and for all. Good luck to you. I'm so sorry your dealing with this at such an extreme level.

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you're going through this, Poppy. I know it seems like you can't live a normal life. I agree with Eithtyt...if you're having like 10 marsupilations that means the gland isn't functioning and it's time to have it removed. I recommend seeing another Gyno, but I've heard that urologists have a lot of experience in the gland removal as well.

I have also had my gland removed and it is oh happy days!! I totally recommend it. Marsupilations are much more painful than the gland removal in my opinion. Good luck!

• Posted

Did you have yours removed by Gyno? I might try the urologist route if it means I can have it out sad Have you expereince any negative effects of having the gland removed?

• Posted

Hi poppy! A gyno did mine..actually two. The thing about having the gland removed is if the doctor leaves any part of the gland, you can still get a cyst, so he needs to be very careful and precise while removing it. I had two operations because the first doctor (Gyno) left part of gland...which meant I got another abscess cyst! It was like a nightmare. I changed doctors to another Gyno who performed the surgery again...and he seems to have removed all of it...finally! Because I don't have any problems, but then again I am only 6 months post op. But he also did mention that the cyst can return because it is a chronic infection, so it can flare up anytime, so to just keep my eye on it although he said it is very unlikely.

I think doctors do not want to do it because it's bloody and it's difficult, but please see a urologist, I hope this was of help! Good luck, let us know what happens.

• Posted

I would call back and emphasize I've had 9 marsupilizations. Currently there is a hole that has never heled, it is seeping, red and starting to flame up again. If this is a new doctor starts it is urgent and your last doctor said to get in ASAP. If it is the same doctor they should know you and get you in same day. If not get a new doctor. I had never been seen at this facility and receptionist in phone had empathy did my condition and got me in same day. Tell them you need to be seen now. Is there await list? Keep the appointment but go on wait list. Sounds like it's time to find a new doctor. Doctors never want oozing remand pain. Check your temperature. Any fevers or chills?

• Posted

Poppy I've been dealing with the same problem for three years. I had the gland removed and still continued to get infections. Before the surgery it flared up every two to three months. In the last year it has begun flaring up every six weeks. I was constantly being cut. I just had another surgery two days ago where my ob went in and removed the area all around the pocket where they occer. In less than twenty four hours I have a severe infection with more drainage and swelling than I have even seen. I'm bruised and in massive pain. I'm with you, I don't feel like there is ever any hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.