Marsupialization

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a marsupialization done a little over a week ago. However turned out the pain and swelling turned out not to be a cyat but a lot of inflammation. So the Dr still follwed through and marsuplized it. So niw it's like a hole with white what looks like cloth dissolvable stitches. Well I have so much anxiety about the whole thing and have been doing alot of reading......The hole stays permanently open? Will it ever be normal looking ever again? Does sex hurt? So many questions I can't wait until my follow up...I called the Dr 2x already I don't want to bother him bc of my anxiety.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I apologize I don't have any answers. I just had the same surgery about three weeks ago it actually was a cyst. I'm terrified to have sex. I'm not in pain anymore.

• Posted

Hello love,

I had the surgery performed almost 2 years ago and had the same anxiety when I looked at it. Mine healed beautifully, there is a hole from the surgery that will take some getting used to, but my husband doesn't even notice it (you will notice it more than anyone else I promise) Sex is not painful whatsoever. What I do recommend though is waiting longer than 4 weeks to have sex like the doctors say. I waited 8 weeks out of paranoia, I think waiting longer aided in my healing process and 2-3 sitz bath a day for 15 mins.

• Posted

So the hole is permanent? How do you not get infections from an open hole... plus today it started hurting: pulling, tightness, a little more sore and I just got my period ( I think it's my period) I am due for it today but now nervous what if it's coming from my incision.....ohh the anxiety of this all. Yes, I'll definitely be waiting until I feel I'm fully healed and ready for sex and my husband totally agrees and understands.

• Posted

I should've been more clear I'm sorry, the scar from the incision is permanent, so it will seem like you have a hole but it's just the scar. The actual hole that was created through the Marsupialization is too small to be seen. I had my period during the recovery process & was nervous as well. I didn't experience too much pain after the procedure, I'm sure your period is probably the cause of it though!

• Posted

Ok, Thank you that makes me feel better. I keep googling and it scares me. I need to stop googling everything
  • Posted

Hi Melissa, I can guess that right now you feel like this nightmare is never going to end but fear not, the end of the road is within sight. Your stitches should dissolve themselves but you might feel like they're getting a bit tight before that happens so just get the nurse practitioner to whip them out. The hole might stay but don't worry you won't notice it and everything will look normal again. Once you're fully healed sex won't hurt and the whole thing will seem like it never happened. You need to be super vigilant about sitz baths and even dabbing your wound with salt water regularly will help the healing. Keep doing that even when the stitches are gone until it's not sore any more. You'll develop a sixth sense about any soreness in that area in future and you'll be able to act quicker if it happens again. Try not to be too anxious about it, everything will go back to normal after a few weeks but it's not like just squeezing a pimple like some of the doctors would have you believe, it's traumatic, super sore and uncomfortable and impacts your whole life till it's gone. But it will go and everything will be fine again. I wish you well.

• Posted

I want to thank all you ladies for the information provided in this thread. I'm about to have this surgery in 2 hours. Helps me to know not to freak out during the recovery. Melissa, hope you're feeling better already. Best to all of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.