Marsupialization - sort of positive experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a marsupialization in June on a bartholin cyst I'd lived with for like 10 years - it never abcessed or caused me any discomfort, but I hated it. I was in a relationship for most of that time. I thought I was stuck with it until I saw a new obgyn about getting an IUD and out of the blue he offered to do a marsupialization. Even then, it took me months to decide because of all the horror stories I read online. I finally decided to do it after my breakup, not wanting to have to explain the bump to any future partners.

It was all much easier than I expected...I didn't have any pain after the surgery. I wasn't working at the time, but if I had been I could have gone back (to my desk job) the next day if I had to. I took the pain killers for a few days just in case though, and diligently did the Epsom salt baths 3 times a day for a week. I was even able to go biking a week post op.

After a few weeks it started to look almost normal, especially once the stitches disappeared. At 4 weeks I had a follow up with my family doc and she said it was healing well. Two weeks later, I had a follow up with the obgyn and expressed concern that there was still something there - he said everything looked great so I figured I just needed to give it more time.

Turned out I was right though...it's back to the same size as before. I'm scheduled to have the surgery again in a few months...this time he'll make a bigger incision that hopefully won't completely close up. Not looking forward to it, but it's worth a shot and at least I know the recovery process is nothing to fear.

Anyway, hope this helps someone out there. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a week post marsupilisation now and still struggle with sitting down, I visited my gp yesterday who told that me that it's infected and I'm on a second course of antibiotics, I'm guessing this is why I've probably felt unwell since the op. The good news is he said it's healing well and there isn't a huge incinsion but I like you, can still see a small lump which I'm assuming is only going to materialise into another cyst! Prior to the op my cyst had only abcessed once and was uncomfortable more than it was painful so I'd be in two minds to go through this again as I'm in more pain now than I was before! I hope the second marsupilisation works better for you, keep us posted! Xx

• Posted

Ouch, sorry you're having some trouble. I suppose I can't be sure my second recovery will be like the first.

I wouldn't worry about the lump yet - hope it's not what you think and that it goes away as you heal!

• Posted

Hi janice,

I suffered with a cyst for years, I read about it coming back after the marsupialization for many women. U get total anesthesia either way so I might as well had the gland removal for not having to have marsupialization after another. It's been a year and no recurrance.

• Posted

You had the gland removed?  Recovery sounds worse for that one...I dunno.  The doctor did say he's had to do a 2nd marsupialization for some women, but he's never had to do a 3rd. That's sort of encouraging, but maybe those women just gave up after 2, who knows  :P  If this one doesn't work I'll be asking about glad removal for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.