Massage tips

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi a lot of people talk about massage of the knee to reduce fluid. Still waiting for physio could anyone give me tips on what kind of massage you do at home ? Thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I massaged my knee to try and loosen the skin...as it seemed tight.  I'd do it in the tub with a face cloth.  I remember it felt good.
    • Posted

Thanks will try that, it feels like an elastic band is wrapped tight around the knee., causing it not to bend easily when walking thanks you
  • Posted

Hi Finley, I finely went to pharm. And got this cream called muscle rub. I ownley used it behind knee and down the sides. Its non greasey and easy to apply. Works miracles.
  • Posted

I use e45 cream, on the scar now but not untill it was looking a bit better, stitches  gone and scabbing ,  I just, using my fingers and heel of wrist, pressing as hard or as softly as makes you feel better, all around the knee front and back, I do it as often as needed, so every time I get up and do something and the horrible tightness comes , I follow it with  a gel ice pack, it deffernatly helps , if only to take your mind off the fact , that it feels horrible, hope it feels better soon 
  • Posted

1.  I am not permitted to take a "tub" bath, yet--just showers.  So, I would not use anything that may make the incision too soft.  I do message Vit. E oil into it.

2.  I massage my thigh and calf with a rolling pin.  This relaxes the muscles that contract because of the pain you are experiencing.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice and tips Bev 👍😜
  • Posted

I use a tue of Ibugel. Just gently rub it in every morning.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Fin I do it after my hot bath with Bio Oil and in a morning but you fould always advertise for a nice skillful blonde?????? LOL got to laugh? ??
  • Posted

I am 3 1/2 weeks post tkr and was told to massage with e45 cream into the scar as soon as the scabs etc  were off.  To massage using both thumbs and fingers pressing as hard as I could bare then follow with ice. Evidently it helps the dissolvable stitches break up and gets rid of the hard areas around the scar. It certainly works for me. 
    • Posted

Since my hands are in bad condition I use the hot tub at the local Y for message. It's not far from is. Then use hot cream for treatment cover with knee wrap to stabilize the knee for a torn meniscus.

If a hot tub is not accessible go you, then there are many portable units to add to bath for water massage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.