Massive bleeding, suspected polyp, but nothing was there?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started having really heavy abnormal bleeding that ended up happening 3x within 5 weeks. My periods after that went back to a semi-normal cycle but they were extremely heavy as well. I went to my primary, and she ordered a normal vaginal ultrasound where they saw a suspected polyp. I was then referred to a gynecologist who started me on birth control right on the spot, but went in for a saline ultrasound for a better look. The thing is, there was nothing there. The doctor kept saying how ‘beutiful’ my uterous was and even I could see that it was just an empty cavity with no bumps or lumps or anything. So now I am just on birth control and my bleeding has been a lot better, but I am worried that the birth control is really just treating symptoms and not the cause. Should I go in for a second opinion? What could have caused so much bleeding in the first place?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had my first scary heavy, really long cycle for like a month.  I did so much research to figure out why, that is how I found this forum.  I was diagnosed with a polyp a few years ago and going back for an ultra sound to see what has changed then discuss treatment options.  In my research my thoughts are it could be several things:

Menorrhagia is the medical term for menstrual periods with abnormally heavy or prolonged bleeding.

Hormones, or maybe the lining didn't shed enough?  I hope you find out what it is and what you can do to stop your discomfort.

• Posted

I have an echofree cyst of 44 in 38 with an echogenic mural, 8 to 5 in size

I am terrified

Tomur marker is normal

I m 46 years old

• Posted

I was going to have a D & C done, when the gynecologist did the ultra sound the polyp I once had was gone. She said my body shed it during all that massive bleeding most likely. But, to get my cycle more under control I agreed to take birth control. After irregular and heavy bleeding for months it was so nice to have a break from bleeding. I am now on the placebo week of pills and my period just started, I pray it just comes and goes in a normal way. Four more placebo days left and I start a new pack. I was so concerned about the amount of bleeding I had that I went to the ER.

• Posted

exactly which meds ur taking? doc gave me primolut n (norethisterone) and glucophage. I only took 2 doses And had horrendous diarrhoea. Msg my doc abt the diarrhoea and she said that primolut doesn't cause diarrhoea (although one of the side effect of this med is diarrhoea) I have stopped taking both the meds

• Posted

did u have acne? and also I want to know did u have ur progesterone and estrogen levels checked?

• Posted

I get occasional acne, but not a problem at my age really. I did not do any tests, my doctor didn't even suggest it. I'm almost complete with the 1st packet of pills and so far, so good (knocking on my desk). Three more days and I start the next packet.

• Posted

so good to know that the med worked for u. unfortunately primolut N (norethisterone) didn't work for me, I only took 2 and had horrible diarrhoea, so I have stopped taking it. will visit another doc and will get another ultrasound. how old are u ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.