Massive headache

Posted , 6 users are following.

I haven't drank anything for 6 days I've had a headache come and go but I was in the hospital yesterday for the headache and lower back pain . I found out I have a urinary tract infection. I get antibiotic for that med for nausea as well as percription strength advil. The headache is terrible when I stand up. It goes all the way down my neck and makes me feel like I'm going to faint. Has anyone else felt this and how long did it last?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you stopped drinking alcohol suddenly? If you've been drinking daily on a regular basis, depending on the amount of alcohol you've been having, even without any alcohol for six days there could be a connection. Other than a UTI have you any other symptoms ?

• Posted

Dear TEresa, IT takes a long time for the body to heal and will be painful. Well done for not drinking. Perhaps the headache will disappear today. I assume that it will not remain with you for that long since that is my own experience when I stopped. Robin
  • Posted

Did you inform the medical staff, that you recently quit drinking?

My first inclination is no there not related. UTI made it to your kidneys. Most headaches are related to dehydration. Drink plenty of electrolytes and water. Give yourself a proper diet. I personally, have never seen alcohol related headaches 6 days after stoppage, However; I'm not medically trained. I've been around lots of drinking circles.

Have you ever been proned to migraines in the past? Depending on the level and consistency of drinking. There is a possibility your brain is trying to restore proper chemistry balance. I personally, take a multi vitamin, omega-3, and thiamine. (B1 vitamin). All over the counter supplements. I just know my body and what makes me get back to 100% after drinking and when I'm quitting drinking.

I'm not a medical person. If you feel you need to see a GP, and give a full disclosure I would recommend that as well.

• Posted

Hi teresa I really think your headache is more from your infection

My mother struggles with urinary tract infections repeadetly and they can really mess up your system.

I'm sure combined with alcohol withdrawal this is just a sign that your body is not happy.  

Most of my withdrawals from alcohol last anywhere from 3-5 days and then I'm really not totally well for about 2 weeks. But, always feel much better after day 5.

I wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.