Massive pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had hemorrhoids surgery exactly 6 days ago . I never experienced such pain in my life specially after BM . Pain medications are marginal at best and provide little relief . 

Does anyone out there know how long before : 

1. Pain becomes tolerable ? 

2. Pain to be gone ?

3. My doctor gave me 2.5 weeks off work . Judging from my current pain level after almost a week , I think he is insane ! I probably need 2.5 months at least ! Does anyone know for sure ? 

One more thing , I have been doing sitz baths mainly for sanitation since they provide no relief from pain ! 

Overall all , horrible experience. My wife and kids are sick of it as I am ! 

Please help !!!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Omar, please read the thread started by Gee a few years ago.  Just follow my name and my posts, there is a lot of discussion already written about this by a lot of people who have had this done.

I had surgery 20 days ago and am still in some degree of discomfort.  However the worst of it was the first week.  Hot baths were (are) of great benefit, as was eating high fiber and staying hydrated.  I cycled ibuprofen and Tylenol.  I was cautious with opioids due to constipation effects.  Surprisingly I found running to be if help.

Unfortunately there is no short cut to this post op time.  Everyone is different.  But the constant theme is pain, for awhile.  I’m still in it now and expect it to go a bit longer.  But I am functioning at around 80-85%.

Good luck!

• Posted

i  had  surgry  3 weeks ago  and i had  verylittle pain  when i got home i took  2 avil  and 2 hours later i too the pain pill  and i did that for every 6 hours  and  pain was very little. i ha it for like 3 days  after that   i got better and better  after that    thsn i  after 3 days  took advil every  2 of them  every 8 hours thasn.   but pain  very little afterwards.       after about one week it was almost gone.       as of today  i,m back too running and normal,  things now.
    • Posted

its just we caught intime  i never had no pain   and they were mid size ok.  and i,m in good shape. im a runner triathlet also. and i kept on going when i went for my check up my doctor caught it. and 3 days later i had them removed.  i didn,t mess around. im not a babny  or chicken  when needs too be done i have it done so i can move forward.     i just got done walking 6 miles.  and i can start back too running  in 3 weeks.    starting on july 5th i,m going too be on my elipto on wheels  and  i,m looking at doing 15miles  on it
    • Posted

In my case I went to the doctor on a Tuesday and had surgery the following day.  I also had no serious pain before.  So, also a very fast turnaround.

I've been running since the surgery, only missed 2 days.  I ran as far as a half marathon (distance-wise) while in Spain on vacation last week and found that exercise helps the pain. 

• Posted

thank you thank you thank you  .you  and i are on track with all of it.     and there are people crying  because there in so much pain for weeks and months. not me  i,m doing great .   i really had no problems a all     all is great.              i,m  57   and running marathon in setember
  • Posted

Hi. Hang in there. It will get better eventually. I am 6 weeks out and still need to poop at home. The pain is only during a bM now. I shower right after and use a fan. I still have healing to do. Keep to 1 poop a day. Not hard. Tylenol and Advil together was perfect for me. I was in a huge amount of pain the first 3 weeks!!!!
  • Posted

The worst is over 1st week is rough, it's all up to your diet now. I'm week 4 no more pain but still plenty of symptoms from hemerrectomy/fissurtectomy take all pain meds as instructed but you must drink plenty of water up to a gallon a day and you wont ter constipated..

What really helped me in the first 10 days was having b.m. in sidz than using detachable shower head to clean..It really should not be an out patient deal..Hang in there it only gets better from this point...

• Posted

Omar, I am one of the ones that doesn't have the story of so many on here that everything is great after just a few weeks. However I am writing this to encourage you I hope. I had 3 internal hems cut out and I went back to work after 6 days off. That was a huge mistake on my part, but that doesn't matter now. Stupid doctor told me I would be uncomfortable for a few weeks and than be all good. Yea, not so much, I was in a lot of pain after BMs all the way into week 8 before it started getting any better. And even then it wasn't a lot better but tolerable. I really thought I was one of those people that the doctor had screwed it up. I lost 15 pounds due to being afraid to eat anything, because if it went in it had to come out.

I started to keep a calendar of the pain levels so I could track if I was getting better or not. I wrote on it every day the pain level and how long it lasted. I counted anything above a 7 pain level for each day of  the week so I could compare each week. I had at least 4 days each week that were a 7 or more, some 10's all the way up to week 16. I am now in week 22 and for the last three weeks I have had none days above a 5 pain level and quite a few 0's.

At week 8 I went back to the doctor and he examined me and said he didn't understand what was going. Which was quite concerning for me. At week 15 I went to a different surgeon and he told me to give it a total of  6 months, that sometimes it just takes that long. 

So the whole point is this: I am in month 6 and it has not been fun. I take a stool softener everyday, I drink 6-8 water bottles a day, I eat fiber supplements every day and try to eat high fiber food. I still use the sitz bath everyday and for the most part am doing pretty good now. It is apparently going to take me 6 months to get well. The days that I have no pain are so wonderful I want to sing to the world, but I am scared to claim victory yet as I still have some days of low level pain.

I hope you heal much faster than I have but my point is that even though I am one of the longer recovery people I am recovering when at times I wondered if I would ever be better. Good luck!

• Posted

Sorry to hear that, I had a friend that took about 5 months to heal, it's a terrible thing. I think 1 hard stool in the beginning can really make recovery difficult. I was fortunate to have a couple of bowl movements when I was still on the local they inject you with. I'm week 5 today from hemerrectomy/fissurerectomy and I still have plenty of symptoms from surgery. The way I look at it, everyday gets a little better...

• Posted

Hi Dan , 

Thank you for your post . Today is my 10 day after surgery . Pain still horrible during and hours after BM . My crazy doctor recommended that I take over counter Tylonnel and Ibubrorfen . This was proven to be stupid as pain was completely out of control . I placed  a call to his office demanding pain medication which he reluctantly prescribed ( hydrocodene something ) . He kept telling me that the medication caused constipation and I told him I didn’t care ! 

Mind you not , I was eating nothing but food full of fiber . Examples : lentils , split pea soaps , prune juice , 100% wheat bread , pears , blueberries , dried fig .., etc . Needless to say , the pain medication didn’t cause any constipation . Today , I tried to refill and my doctor office said no !! Take ibuprofen and tylonnel . I don’t understand that since I need this medication just to stay afloat and have a marginal quality of life . 

One more aftermath of the surgery that I like to share is I feel spasms when urinating making difficult task . Any one else feel that ? 

All things considered : from day of surgery until day 9 . Horrible on all aspects ! Pain is 10 out of 10 

Day 10 ( today) slight improvement. Pain level 8.5 I say . 

Stay tuned as I would send an update in a week or so . 

• Posted

Dan, I would say your story is not unusual at all; unfortunately.  I’m sorry to hear it.

i went to my doctor for a 3 week post op check up.  I’m doing pretty well overall now.  However, he told me that FULL RECOVERY from all post op symptoms is usually a 8-10 week process.  He did NOT mention that before I had the surgery.  I was also told about a “few days” of discomfort.  Sure thing.

Some rare people recovery fully quickly (~2weeks).  I believe that is the exception.  But everyone does recover over time.  Counting in weeks and months is a better measuring stick than counting in days.

• Posted

you know  i had  my done 3 weeks ago . and  today i,m back too running lite.  i,m   not really have much problem.  just itch alot.    i have anothe r  appt with my doctor in 3 days.  but yah i,m back too running .   pain  what pain  i had pain for  3 days  and that was it.  other than that i,m doing pretty good .      alot of sport drinks  water   fruite   bananas  graps.      no  pizza  no cheese  im doing very well
    • Posted

Hi Thomas 

I am happy for you since your were spared much of the agony and pain and running in 3 weeks ! 

I only wish I and others had your luck , or should I say , your own healing process or even maybe your skilled surgeon. 

I only wish I had similar experience . I guess I will just have to accept my fate and let time takes its course and hopefully eventually I will get better .  

For anyone wondering , my surgery involved removing one internal and one external hemmrroighds. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.