massive side effects on fluoxertine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have previously suffered from depression and never really got over it. I have recently been prescribed fluoxertine but this had adverse side effects, I found my self impulsively self harming which I have not done for about a year. I was unable to function at work due the the sheer drowsiness. I was only on these for 1 week however had tried to adjust them so I don't suffer the side effects too much. I was jut wondering is any one else had these side effects.

I am also now on escitalopram and wondered how people have reacted to this- I know everyone is different but I don't feel safe in my self with my impulsive moods and on one occasions when from being calm to wanting to kill my self in 15 minutes approximately.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ditto

I am in the same situation today and have been for 2 years now.

I have no answers

I am on 40 mg a day of fluoxetine but thankfully they seem to work for me.

I never really had any side effects that I am aware of.

With my anxiety levels increased right now , its affected my whole physical well being and my consultant at my hospital clinic agrees its not to long and I will be needing to be admitted again.

I am tired of my life right now.

There is little support that actually get right into the heart of the issues that anxiety and depression bring.

I find all my medical practiioners more understanding and helpful than any of the mental health Professionals.

I dont feel they have any real insight into what its like to live with anxiety .

They are to me paid propfessionals that have gone through schooling to learn about mental health but moslty do not have a clue into the reality of actualy being so overwhelmed by the illness from day to day.

They provide no answers apart from doping us all down and numbing us up.

I am tired and free falling into oblivia.

I hope you find a way.

I certainly cannot myself.

I have never thought of myself as a loser at any time in my life until this one issue arose.

PJ

• Posted

I am fortunate that I have occupational health in my work place, however i feel I need to fight this depression but I physicly can't .the tiredness, sleep problems, emotions that I can't control or even try to. I previously took fluextine a few years ago and had no such side effects. Its all just far too much for me. I feel like I would like to just sleep all the time or harm my self to get through this.
    • Posted

Hi Ozzie, I wondered if you would take the time to describe to me what form your anxiety took and what your fears were.

I completely understand if you don't want to, I know what a private thing it is. 

I wanted to try to understand the difference between anxiety and depression...if there is a difference.

Please take care, I hope with all my heart you can find some help.  You sound so desperate, I am so sorry.

Pat

• Posted

Started fluoxetine 4 week ago and experiencing restlessness.  Possibly because I'm also coming off venlafaxine.  Was told to give fluoxetine time for the side effects to abate.
  • Posted

I started out on Citalopram, and found I was having increased suicidal thoughts and impulses to self harm too. My GP basically told me to suck it up, as those were known side effects and would pass. They didn't. I went back, and got an appointment to see a different doctor. He started me on Venlafaxine, which I have been on ever since with no problems. I would suggest you went back to discuss this with your GP. Good luck.x
  • Posted

Natalie, we all react differently to anti depressants, and what suits one person may not suit another.  Fluoxetine was definitely the worse anti depressant I ever took, and I have been on many different ones over 30 years.

It made me very agitated.  I could not sit still.  I ran around all the time crying.  It upset my stomach terribly.  I was not drowsy, just super anxious and agitated.  I had to stop it within  3 weeks as I just could not tolerate it at all.  I have never felt like that on other anti depressants.  Yes I had a few side effects at first but they settled down, but with Fluoxetine I could not cope at all. 

Hopefully the anti depressant you are now on will suit you.  Prozac has a bad reputation for making people feel suicidal, especially in young people.  I don't mean to scare you, far from it,  but I have read quite a few bad reports about that particular drug.  But, on the other hand, it does help people.  That is just my personal experience. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.