Massive weight gain after gall bladder surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my gall bladder removed 6 months ago and most of the discomfort and pain have disappeared. However, despite eating really carefully, I had a massive weight gain in a short space of time. It was 12 kgs in 10 weeks! I can't get rid of it even though I exercise 5 days a week and stay off most fats. Someone suggested adding digestive enzymes to my food. What do you think?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It depends on what weight you were before you had gallstones

When you had gallstones you should have been on a no fat diet and lost weight.

If all you are doing is putting back that weight I would not worry too much.

However, if you are now more than you were before you had the gallstones then you need to start getting that weight off.

Look at ingredients on food you are eating there is lots of hidden sugars in things it is not just fat.

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi, Sarah,

My earlier reply got moderated.  Don't know why.  I don't know that digestive enzymes would help.  Sounds to me as if you're storing fat.  Try limiting all forms of sugar, including high fructose corn syrup.  Most low fat products have lots of different sugars in them.  Excess sugar consumption causes your liver to start storing fat instead of digesting it. Eat fish, chicken and green veggies.  Bread is fine, but in moderation.  Avoid alcoholic beverages.  Use coconut oil or grassfed butter to. cook with.  Drink water or tea.  And don't use artificial sweeteners, which mess with your gut bacteria and leave you hungrier.  

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi,

I have the oppostie I have been losing weight i had my GB out about 6 weeks ago. 

I do not know I may put it back on. I am scared to eat. I get stomach problems from it. I hope it gets better, what are digestive enzymes i take lactaid before i eat 

• Posted

i too gained a lot of weight after having my gallbladder out i was seven stone before and when i started to put weight on i just thought it was natural. i also stopped smoking six months before my op too. i thought that the large gallstones in my gallbladder were feeding off what i ate because they are made up of fatty deposits or something. i also have other health problems so exercise is not easy for me. i try to eat a fat free diet and watch what i eat. if your concerned about your weight gain then it might be an idea to talk to your gp. hope my reply helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.