Mastectomy pain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,thought I'd post a message just to check if anyone out there who has had a mastectomy suffers from pain around the scar or chest area from time to time.

I had my mastectomy in Aug 2008/2009 followed by chemo/radio

but what I'd like to know is does anyone else have pain? :D

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a partial mastectomy (lumpectomy) in Oct 2008/2009 followed by radio. The scar area has always been tender with some parts of the skin numb to touch. Just lately though, the whole breast area is aching worse than usual. I had a normal mammogram in December and a recent examination which was fine. I mentioned the tenderness but was told that it was normal as long as it wasn't worse than usual. Well it's worse than usual. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not...
  • Posted

Hello Alex,(cbr55) I'm so sorry for the delay in replying but it has taken me ages to get back into my account even then I have had to re-register.,

I had 6 bouts of chemo followed by radio after my mastectomy,I've also just had my latest check up where I also asked about pain and the consultant explained it is apparently due to the radio and if I start to get a cold or virus it will hit there first and I must say that I do find that to be true, but if you are not happy about any change or pain mention it as it's best to get it checked, other than that I hope your fine :-)

• Posted

Oh, forgot are you taking any medication? I have to take Tamoxifin bringing with it side effects of course lol.
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling back to normal now, with the pain at the usual manageable levels. Yes, I'm on Tamoxifan but have never had any noticable side effects. Side effects from the radio can manifest years later, so maybe this was just something from that. But it's settled down now, thank goodness. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.