Mastoidectomy and Tympanoplasty Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had cholesteatoma surgery 5 weeks ago. The surgeon removed the cholesteatoma and completed a radical mastoidectomy and rebuilt a new eardrum for me. Two weeks after he removed the ear packing, and I am scheduled to return to his office at week 8 for a hearing test, currently I can only hear maybe 5% I hear low tones and very little at high volumes. I assume there is deep ear packing in the ear that needs to dissolve but has anyone else seen an improvement in hearing before 8 weeks? I have significant anxiety that the surgery was a failure. I have significant tinnitus in that ear and I can feel the same symptoms happening in my good ear. Is there any hope for me?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I sure hope you ill regain your hearing. Did the tinnitus occur before you got the cholesteatoma? And you say you still have the tinnitus? Why was the mastoidectomy done?

• Edited

Hi Christine,

I myself had this surgery in April due a recurring cholesteatoma. The packing can be an absolute nightmare in itself, can't it?

With regards to my hearing following both surgical procedures, like yours, my hearing was very poor. Following my two week follow-up when packing was removed my hearing improved drastically. Hearing tests have shown that my hearing is now at the same pre-op levels. Sadly though I am still dealing with tinnitus.

Good luck with everything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.