Mastoidectomy, still in pain a week later

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I'm new here and desperately seeking experience. I'm 24 and a week ago had a canal wall down mastoidectomy, I've had what I can only describe as a deep nagging ear ache ever since that is starting to get me down.

My incision is healing and I have barely any pain there now, but the ear ache is still awful.

How long did your pain last?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi London1992,

my radical CWD mastoidectomy was back in 2014 and i had my packing in for a month which is quite normal and had, and still get regular check ups.

The CWD is an open cavity in the ear drum so be careful in cold weather it causes pain so while outside i use cotton wool just inside the ear drum to stop the wind and cold causing ear pain.

I find weather changes cause me to feel off balance as well,a feeling like being drunk which people seem to think is funny when you tell them(not funny at all)!!!!

Also back in 2013 i had a brain abscess and craniotomy which the dr's seem to think could have been caused by this horrible invasive disease,Cholesteatoma/ mastoiditis which alot of people don't realise how dangerous it can be even i hadn't heard of it before all of this happened.

I was treated for years with ear infections and a horrible smelly discharge given antibiotics all the time,cleared up and kept coming back.

In the end i just put up with it for years and years not going to dr's without realising the consequences of this disease

• Posted

thank you for your detailed reply, gaby. Sorry you had such a tough time with it! I also have had constant infections all my life I still remember being as young as 7 and doubled over in pain from the ear infections I'd always have!

Thanks for the cold weather tip. Do you find your ear opening is wider? I read this can happen and I'm quite worried it'll be really noticeable!

• Posted

Hi.

A week is not long, when you have pain it will be. I was off work 3 months and it was a couple of months before I could say I had no pain. It takes  while to heal.

• Posted

Oh goodness that's a long time sorry to hear that!

Funnily enough my pain has completely stopped (thank god) I'll get an odd twinge of pain every now and then but nothing like the awful constant ear ache I had!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.