Masturbation after urethroplasty

Posted , 5 users are following.

I received the first stage of a two-stage urethroplasty 4 weeks ago more or less, to remove a 2-3 cm urethral stricture near the tip of my penis. The urethra was excised and grafts from inside my mouth/cheeks were put onto the site. I was in the hospital for a week, had a Foley catheter in for two weeks, and then had the catheter removed. I've consistently been told the graft looks very healthy and is healing very well. After a few days, it stopped hurting to urinate. A couple of days later, I decided I had had enough waiting and have masturbated once a day for the last three days. I don't touch anywhere near the site of the graft and have been extremely careful and light. Masturbation occurred with a little bit of pain and there's a little bit of bleeding, but my surgeon told me that a bit of bleeding is normal and that erections are also normal, so I didn't really think anything of it.

I've been thinking about it since and I'm not sure if that was a good decision or if masturbating at this time is okay. My surgeon said I should avoid "major sexual activity" for 2-4 weeks post-catheter removal, but I would describe my activity as extremely minor. I figured that if just getting erections/having orgasms would be damaging, I would have gotten more warning from the surgeon. I was wondering if I could have some advice on this. Could I be damaging the grafts? Is there something I should do?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi.

I had end-to-end anastomosis urethroplasty (5mm stricture). So my case is bit different. Anyway would share my thoughts.

I had first masturbation in week 3 after surgery. There was no pain much onwards or any significant observation. I think Erections/Mstrbation are not a problem.

What's advised is to avoid any major activity (as much physical movement and stress can damage surgery site). Pretty much common advice after any major surgery.

I understand from your post that you don't have any symptoms or problems afterwards. I would say this means there should be nothing to worry hopefully. However please remain cautious and in any such case, please get dr's advice immediately.

• Posted

Thank you very much @IS6458, that gives me a good perspective and allays my fears somewhat. In the week or so since I've posted this thread I haven't noticed anything remarkably wrong or concerning with the surgery site, so I think things are probably fine. I will be refraining from any activity and continuing to monitor for now.

• Edited

I heard lots bad inputs from various sources that after urethroplasty surgery, ED is very common, not sure how you are getting erection at this stage.

• Edited

That's very odd because my surgeon told me that, while ED could happen, it is relatively uncommon. I got erections while in the hospital with a catheter in as early as like 3 days after my surgery.

• Posted

How are you feeling now? problem is 100% cured?

• Posted

I am still healing for sure but I feel a lot more at ease about this issue. I kind of have to be careful but I don't get much or any bleeding anymore.

• Posted

How are you doing now? I am getting ready to have a 2 stage operation. I have a suprapubic catheter in place so m urethra can "rest" prior to the 1st stage.

My stricture is sort of like yours- about 1.5 inches down from my urethral opening which is on the underside of my glans due to hyposapdias.

• Posted

how are you feeling now? how is your recovery now? how is your flow now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.