Matching Whiteness on big toe nails

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i have matching whiteness on both of my big toes. The corner of each toes nearest the next toe has crumbly nail, white, sometimes a little yellow. Ive had it for years. Sometimes it gets a little better, soemtimes it is really obvious. I have tried the pens which didnt work, tried putting menthol rub on them, also didnt work. Can someone help? My mother thinks its not fungal die to how symmetrical they are.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like it could be fungal. Why not ask your pharmacist for advice?
  • Posted

Sounds like a fungal infection. You have to persevere for a very long time with these infections. It can take years to get it clear and even then it can come back.   I find you have to use several types of treatment one after the other and every day without fail.   Be warned...it can spread to the other nails and left untreated it may lift the nail off the nailbed,which can be very painful.  If you are in UK why not see your doctor and ask for it to be tested for fungal spores.  Its the only way to know for sure.
  • Posted

Hi Jk1988, it is very likely a fungal infection. To know for sure, your dermatologist would need a sample of your nail.

However, since it did not progress rapidly, you could try a natural anti-fungal like pure tea tree oil. It smells rather pleasantly and the treatment is very easy: Apply one drop of the oil onto the affected area each evening. Make sure that the oil soaks the skin below the crumbly part of the nail. 

If I were you, I would use a different set of nail tools to trim the affected nails. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.