Maternal Health and Stress Levels

Posted , 6 users are following.

I understand there is research suggesting that severe trauma shock or stress can be carried thro the DNA to the next generation. I know my mother was stressed during pregnancy with me and her mother committed suicide when my mother was young.  The Baby Boomers parents had both world wars to contend with as well as The Depression, How many LS sufferers' mothers had traumatic times, and whether their histories should be taken into account when considering what causes autoimmune responses like LS

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I havent heard this theory but it certainly makes sense. I would have to put my hand up for this too. 
  • Posted

How then does one explain when I have LS and my sister (a year older) does not - with same parents?  Thus, cannot completely agree with this theory.
    • Posted

My sister does not have LS either - however as first born she may have had less maternal stress- (eg excitement perhaps ) My sister and i are chalk and cheese both in looks and personality. She is excitable and volitile I am calm and patient . It could be my reaction to stress is also different to hers thus her body responds differently?

I noticed several people on here have mothers aunts or sisters with the same condition. There are exceptions to every rule too.

• Posted

Nor do my three sisters but we all have auto immune as well as two brothers. Ah but i suspect another brother again had LS as he was an adult in his early 40ies when he had to be circumcised. 
  • Posted

I do not know about the DNA change, but what I have experienced is that the stressful period (war) my parents went through was for sure projected onto me as a child.  Later governments added to that by making you fear a war with atomb bombs.  Today the fearmongering continues and that all will for sure have an affect on people.  Fear means stress.  
    • Posted

I think we live in a society where chronic anxiety is endemic. Different people have different vulnerabilities.
    • Posted

You arre so right. I once went on safari to Zim and the game warden a very sensible (gorgeous) chap said that he met so many people from "the developed world"  who were stressed out and made to feel worse by watching the news about Stuff,ie War Famine Abuse Inequalities Poverty etc   and as individuals not one of us can DO anything to improve these situations, which increased our distress. His remedy was to say Do NOT read the newspapers or watchor listen  news broadcasts. Instead concentrate on one's own locality and help where one could  do some good on a personal basis.

when going thro my more difficult times i did take note of this advice. I have huge gaps in my knowledge of current affairs - but i hope i lessened my stress levela a tad

• Posted

Sadly  the falling branch the hhit and run and my  little prang the other day, has taken it's toll, the fusing is racing ahead of itself once more

Damn!

• Posted

My car wasn' damaged - i clipped someone while turning right had a policewoman to witness my stupidity. I spoke to my garage and he said the car is very unlucky - NO it isnt - just i was in the wrong place at the wrong time x2 and stupid for the 3rd , but it STILL hits my purse that THAT is what hurts!!

AND the burning undercarriage....sigh

• Posted

We cancelled our cable tv, for starters.  Dead on.  
    • Posted

I haven't had cable since 2001. Best thing I ever quit. And I used to get so angry listening to documentaries on CBC Radio. No more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.