Mattress

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, I struggle with a back condition and after some years of struggling to turn painfully in a single bed I treated myself to a double. I thought rolling over would be easier than turning!

Anyway, nice bed BUT too firm. Would a mattress topper help and if so which one would anyone recommend ?

Many thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I woudn't jump the gun in thinking it's too firm, virtually all back conditions are helped by laying on solid floor so the firmer the mattress really the better it should be for a back. There will be a thousand other areas of your life could be causing back trouble. Diet and yoga should solve the majority of cases, search the internet and never stop researching.
  • Posted

Hi Mollysox

I have to agree with Marlow and say that there are numerous things that could be causing your back pain.

Most cases of lower back pain will sort themselves out with in about 6 weeks. If you have been suffering for longer than that then it may be something slightly more serious, such as a disc problem causing nerve compression.

With regard to the bed situation, a hard mattress will normally help, but another very effective tip is to only use one pillow. Being as flat as possible while in bed will take pressure off the lower vertebrae and in turn reduce your pain.

Being as educated as possible in general about back pain will definitely help you recover quicker.

Sam

• Posted

Hello Mollsox,

I have had back pain for fifteen years with osteoarthritis in my lumbar spine after 6 separate disc herniations, and in the last three years I have developed Degenerative Disc Disease with Modic I changes in

four thoracic discs. I know your dilemma well and tried lots of mattresses over the years. It is not true that a

firm mattress is the best for a bad back. My pain is as bad as it comes - I reluctantly survive on opiates and sometimes morphine.

The most comfortable mattress I had was a soft one with innersprings and a soft top but it was bad for my

lower back, I would wake up in agony. So I changed to a high quality firm latex mattress but it was really

uncomfortable.It helped with lower back pain but I'd wake up in the morning with really sore hips instead -and it did nothing for my thoracic spine. I found out too late that latex and memory foam are hot to sleep on so

cause poor sleep, and mine did. By pure chance I noticed while camping for a long period that an air mattress was really comfortable, supportive and cool - and my back pain lessened to the extent that I could radically

cut down on opiates, that was a huge step forward.So I bought a cheap one with the in-built electric pump- it is easy to adjust to your personal comfort level and if you have back pain it is also easy to lift. I used it on my slat base bed frame and I was so good that I then began sleeping properly for the first time in years and

reduced pain medications also. I then bought an expensive Number mattress - a fancy version of an air

mattress because I share the bed and it has two sides controlled separately. To be honest I like the cheap

air mattress better, it is more supportive without top layers of foam, and cooler. What you need in a mattress

is body support but something that moulds evenly to your shape.

Air and water mattresses are the only ones that really do that -and promote cool sleep. I didn't like water

wobbles so I chose air. I hope this is food for thought because I had to find out the expensive way that the answer was cheap.

• Posted

Hi,

I have suffered from lower back ache for years (bad posture I think).  Recently we got a campervan and my heart sank at the thought of sweaty plastic/memory foam mattresses and hard beds with dips in which were really seats.  We did a lot of research in the community forums and eventually came up with a Zonesleep topper mattress which seems to be a new technology.

I have to say - it was expensive.  And when it arrived I thought it looked far to flimsy and thin to be any good, but that's what everyone recommended so off we went.  Anyway, has done wonders for my back pain and I sleep like a log on it, I sometimes take it to other peoples houses to use on their guest beds because it is so comfortable and not hot and sticky at all.  Folds up too.  Am even considering using it on my bed at home (which is memory foam) if the temperature climbs like last years which was terrible.  Tried the pillow as well, but topper was the best for me.  

I guess it depends on budget, but they offer a money back guarantee and they were very helpful.  

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I dont know if you have read my earlier post on how I have almost resolved my long term backache but I have moved on a little from the earlier post in which I advocated the use of large cushions. i believe a lot of this awful back trouble is due to the same old bed advise we get, hard mattress, no pillow etc. After about 6 years of arthritic pain in my lower back i tried all sorts, soft, hard, air, 1 pillow, 3 pillows etc. Moving on a step from my discovery of the cushions I have now bought myself a luxury adjustable bed, with a good quality pocketed spring mattress on top, one where the knees are bent and supported and the back raised up, bliss, been a month or so now and every night it gets better, it feels so natural, i have been gardening most of today, totally unable to do this a few weeks back.No more pain killers for me. I know these beds are expensive but I managed to find a second hand nursing bed, (Volker) took the side rails off so looks normal, you can adjust till you get it just right. I am convinced so much back pain is caused by sleeping on a flat surface.
  • Posted

Hi Mollysox,

I bought a new mattress about a year ago, and I have been ripped off.  Door to door; "we're going bankrupt"  pitch.

I sent my old one to a rental property, but I am definitely switching them back this weekend, when I have help.

I can only think, take a friend and try some out in the shops, and don't let yourself get embarrassed  Lol.

Problem is, what's right for someone else, isn't going to be right for everyone. All of us are made differently. 

Also, I've not looked, but it goes from a reasonably priced to blinking extortionate, rather depending on your circumstances.   However, if you can afford something more expensive, have you looked at "memory foam"? And do they have any guarantees?

Good luck,  if you haven't got a new one yet, please share if you're got a new one?   Thsnks 

• Posted

Back pain is no more an age related problem. These days, back pain can be seen in people of all ages. One way to get rid of back pain, is to change the mattress and see if it works. If your mattress isn't that old, you can choose to buy a mattress topper. Experts recommend buying a memory foam or latex memory foam mattress topper for back pain. It might prove effective. Look for a mattress topper with 4 pounds density.  

• Posted

Many who are faced with this issue, I half a year ago also chose a mattress, looked at many reviews, read many forums, and I chose among the best collections. I would advise you to read about casper mattress, this is a novelty, and I bought it myself https://happysleepyhead.com/ . The mattress should perfectly fit for your back, or see other options. 

• Posted

I had a back pain because of the mattress for two years. Then I decided to change the mattress. I read a lot about air mattresses, pros and cons. My friend advised Coleman SupportRest Air Mattress, I tested it in the store, and then read a review about him http://bestairmattresseshub.com/coleman-supportrest-air-mattress-review/ , the website details the mattress, and this article helped me to know the pros and cons. I advise you to read the review.   

• Posted

How about a water bed. I slept in one in a hotel and thought it was amazing but that was long before I had a back problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.