Mattress choices

Posted , 7 users are following.

Any advice on a new mattress? Soft, firm, extra firm, etc ? I have learned that being comfortable falling asleeping doesn't always equal waking pain free. My best (least discomfort) sleep is usually the least likely of places, couch or recliner, a huge pile of pillows on the floor. Many say that a firm mattress is good for your back, not sure if that applies for AS.

I appreciate any help, a decent mattress can be a great expense and I can't afford to play Goldie Locks and go through multiple beds.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I read about this recently! Where?   I think on an NZ website with lots of good info on lving life with  .  I just cant think of the name for now.  Too hard if you can squeese your hand behind the small of your back and too soft if you cannot at all, just a jew fingers is just right apparenlty.  Good luck.  Mine may be a bit hard but I prop legs up on pillows and use small ones etc.!!!  Tempur foam i found too hot and too soft, though sometimes pull that mattressout again!

• Posted

Yes, yes exactly.  I have been going through this exact diliemna for the past two years or so and haven't yet been able to pull the trigger on buying one.  The problem is that I can't say what kind would do the trick.  What feels real good in a store may be murder on the back over the long haul.   I did find one thing for sure.  While I was still working and living the consultant's life I would often stay at full service Marriott hotels in the states.  I found that my back would feel better during the week while sleeping on the Marriott's beds.  Then I would return home for an extended time and my back would go back to hurting worse.  At the time I researched what beds the Marriott was using and considered buying that mattress and firmness.  But alas I didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on that either so I can't tell you how that went.  But to this day, I think that would have worked in the long term although I can't recall what brand I found them to use. 

• Posted

love the Marriott beds, forgot there name but have read the lable a long time ago.

• Posted

Hiya....one thing I dread is sleeping on a hard mattress as is often the case in hotels.. Mine at home is medium but I have put a foam overlay on the mattress for extra cushioning. I also have lots of pillows...a tiny one for my neck...and a long one for my knee to rest on and two more for each arm as I have bad shoulder pain....I still can't get really comfortable for a good nights sleep..hence writing this at 4 a.m. Would love to sleep on a fluffy cloud....where to find one suitable ???rolleyes

• Posted

I wish there was an easy answer! It would be great if all AS sufferers should have one specific mattress. In my experience, my back pain and needs have changed across the decades. What hasn't changed is I use many pillows of varying sizes for different body parts for structural support. I love, love, love my down pillows!

Early in my disease, a warm waveless waterbed was perfect. I could not manage one today.

The worst mattress I've ever had was a Sleep Number. It was a very expensive lesson ($2400 in 1997). At a firm setting it set off my trigger points while soft settings did not provide support. I had many sore backs with that one.

I had good luck with a firm, pillow top mattress by Stearns and Foster. After 1-2 years it sagged an inch or so in the center. For those days of extreme pain, the little bit of sagging made re-positioning and getting up more painful and challenging - especially when I felt weak.

I purchased a new mattress 6 months ago. I went with a brand with a reputation for minimal sagging in the middle. Although my last pillow top worked great, I didn't get that feature with the new one. Instead I bought a firm mattress with a separate 3 inch topper. That way i can adjust the firm-to-soft needs for my back. The toppers need to be replaced every year or so.

Does anyone else have a pillow preference? There are many new ones. My older down pillows work great under my neck. I can change the shape and amount of fill nightly to my needs. If I need more, I use 2 pillows. I use 4-10 pillows each night and most are down. Down does not work for supporting my legs.

I will appreciate any pillow recommendations or other sleep items.

• Posted

Before I was diagnosed with AS, I noticed I was having difficulty finding a comfortable pillow.  After being diagnosed, I began searching the website for information about AS.  One article said with this diagnosis, a person might be more comfortable sleeping flat on his back on a firm mattress with a small towel for a pillow or no pillow.  I thought how crazy but I tried it.  I was surprised my sore neck issue disappeared and I am able to sleep comfortably.  Sometimes, I am more comfortable lying on the floor instead of sitting on the couch while watching television.
  • Posted

I have been there too while sleeping in strange hotels.  Neck pain wouldnt allow me to use any hotel pillow so I simply folded up a towel and used that.  Not very comfortable but I was able to get a couple hours of sleep.
    • Posted

Hi everyone...thanks for your advice..Here we have pillows filled with Kapok....the inside of seed pods from the Kapok tree. I have found these to be really good as you can squish them around to get comfortable. If I stay in a hotel here in Bali I take mine with me..but cannot take overseas as they are plant material and not allowed...Will borrow a baby pillow when I get to my family in Australia and try that.
  • Posted

I prefer a firm, very firm mattress fir the support BUT I add an electric mattress heating pad WITH A3 inch memory foam topper next COVERED BY a lofty bamboo mattress pad . let's just say I found away to have my cake and eat it toi...chuckle

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.