Maxillary Sinus...i need some info pls help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Recently my son has been complaining of a foul smell coming from his nose and that the smell was causing him headaches. He explained that he felt 'a liquid' dripping down to his throat and its taste was really horrible. I did not bother much and came to a conclusion that it is just a cold and a runny nose. And luckily he recovered after consuming simple medecines for colds. However after 1 week the problem arose again. This time i decided to take him to a private doctor who advised me to perform a sinus ct scan. After the scan the result was bilateral maxillary sinutisis with obstruction of the omc..etc. By looking at the xrays the doctor said that he needs to undergo an operation but because of his exams he prescribed antibiotics in the meanwhile and said to come after school is over. So my son has been consuming antibiotics and he says that the foul smell is gone and he no longer have headaches. Does that mean it's cured? There's no need to do the surgery? Because he says he feels like before..no foul smell no headaches no runny nose no pain..nothing..

Thank you for taking the time to read.

+ at the age of 5 my son had problems breathing through his nose , he breathed through the mouth. A Doctor suggested that an operation needs to be performed as there was a problem with his nose alignment but later he himself said that there is no need to do it so we did not do it. Also my son suffers from migraines since chidhood. everyday he vomits in the car when i go to drop him to school. I'm really sorry for writing this long and pls excuse my english

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It sounds like the infection in the sinuses are causing back drip into your son's throat and (probably worse in the night). The foul smell and the taste is likely the infected drips. The antibiotics can help to clear the sinuses if the infection is bacterial and not fungal or viral. This will explain why your son feels better with the antibiotics treatment. However, if the primary cause of infection is due to blocked sinus hole, the infection will come back time and again. So the question is how often will the infection come back and can you deal with these infections with antibiotics each time. If infections are infrequent and medicine does the trick, you may want to rethink the need for surgery. If surgery can be pushed out and medicine can work, that's always the preferred choice.

I had my right maxillary sinus cleaned up (FESS) and the sinus hole enlarged for drainage in July this year. My right maxillary sinus was infected badly and needed cleaning. My turbinates were also badly swollen so I had little choice but to resort to surgery. Now I can breathe a whole lot better, but my right maxillary sinus hole is somewhat blocked because my middle turbinate now is adhered to the septum, causing a little blockage (thou not as bad as before surgery). This is one complication of FESS - a common one which happens, accordingly to some research paper, to 10-30% of FESS.  This, however, can be treated in the clinic, hopefully easily by ENT. 

So if you do do the surgery, be ready for your son to devote some 1-3months of healing. Also make sure you get a really good doctor who does FESS well and avoid adhesions (scar tissues). This nasal problem runs in my family and my brother and his son have had their sinus holes cleared and enlarged and their turbinates reduced and they feel a whole lot better, with less migraine and infections. 

• Posted

Thank you for all these information . It's really helpful

• Posted

I thought I provide a link to the blog I just wrote to give you an idea of the healing process. Some pictures can be found in there too. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.